Dana White confirms UFC 117's Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves winner gets title shot

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White confirms UFC 117's Jon Fitch vs. Thiago Alves winner gets title shot
emfleek
8/5/10 4:44:29PM
SAN FRANCISCO – The winner of Saturday's UFC 117 co-main event between Jon Fitch (22-3 MMA, 12-1 UFC) and Thiago Alves (16-6 MMA, 9-3 MMA) will, in fact, get a shot at the title.

UFC president Dana White confirmed the expected plans during today's pre-UFC 117 press conference at the Hilton San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf hotel in California.

The winner will be in line after Josh Koscheck, who meets current champ and "The Ultimate Fighter 12" rival coach Georges St-Pierre at a tentatively planned Dec 11 UFC 124 event.

LINK
Wallass
8/5/10 5:23:35PM
So Fitch wins like what, five in a row before he gets his shot and Alves fights once since his defeat to GSP and gets a shot with a win? Strange! Should be a good fight as weird as this is. Im not disputing Fitch or Alves being top contenders but Fitch deserves the shot and im sure he'll "earn it" saturday.
prozacnation1978
8/5/10 5:30:29PM
I don't wanna see rematches with kos/ fitch/ alves
If gsp cleaned out the division have him move up in weight

How does alves beating fitch get u a title shot??

I think shields needs the next one
AchillesHeel
8/5/10 5:39:26PM

Posted by Wallass

So Fitch wins like what, five in a row before he gets his shot and Alves fights once since his defeat to GSP and gets a shot with a win?

Yeah, I'm not sure a win over Fitch should give Alves another title shot, especially if it's a rematch with GSP. I think the winner of Kampmann-Shields in October will be much more deserving of a title shot than Alves would be.

Maybe Dana White is so confident that Fitch will win that he figures it'll be moot whether or not Alves would be a deserving contender.
Wand_is_GOD
8/5/10 5:51:34PM
:) I am so happy Go Fitch
BustedKnuckle
8/5/10 6:11:11PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Wallass

Maybe Dana White is so confident that Fitch will win that he figures it'll be moot whether or not Alves would be a deserving contender.

This!!!
Mackavelli
8/5/10 6:31:30PM
I was hoping the winner of fitch/alves fights shields for the title shot.
sbulldavid
8/5/10 8:14:59PM

Posted by Mackavelli

I was hoping the winner of fitch/alves fights shields for the title shot.

That was my thought as well
teddythetuna
8/5/10 9:13:30PM
Well i guess if Fitch wins and Kos wins Dana is gonna make them fight. Last i heard Fitch said he would move up weight if Kos wins the belt. I honestly dont think we will have to worry about Kos winning but i have been wrong once or twice before
jlock003
8/5/10 9:32:00PM
I feel like, if Shields does well he is the last guy anybody really wants to see GSP fight. I mean if Alves comes out and does really well against Fitch's wrestling then I guess I wouldn't mind seeing the Alves/GSP rematch, but I kinda see Alves getting beat much like he was in the GSP match. Shields is to GSP what Vitor is to Anderson.
chickmagnet
8/5/10 10:54:03PM
I can see it now, Kos vs. Alves II, sometime in march or april.
bjj1605
8/6/10 1:39:29PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

What's wrong with rematches? Both guys put up a decent fight the first time around and fitch has made quite a case for another shot.
cowcatcher
8/6/10 1:58:53PM

Posted by bjj1605

What's wrong with rematches? Both guys put up a decent fight the first time around and fitch has made quite a case for another shot.

the problem as i see it isnt with fitch getting a shot if he wins, hes been on a roll again, its that alves's last fight was against gsp and hes been out almost a year. so he comes back, has one fight, and then gets another shot??? that is whats wrong with this.
bjj1605
8/7/10 12:17:16AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by bjj1605

the problem as i see it isnt with fitch getting a shot if he wins, hes been on a roll again, its that alves's last fight was against gsp and hes been out almost a year. so he comes back, has one fight, and then gets another shot??? that is whats wrong with this.

If you look at the comment I was quoting it seemed to be bashing rematches in general. I agree that Fitch is deserving but Alves has done nothing since he lost, so is somewhat undeserving.
telnights
8/7/10 2:21:38PM
I don't think Alves should get another shot even if he wins. This will be his first fight since his loss and he missed weight again for a very important fight. I just don't think he is deserving of a title fight even if he wins.
seanfu
8/7/10 2:56:41PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by prozacnation1978

First of all, Kos has a very legit chance if he can keep it standing. Secondly, Fitch taking a beating isn't putting up a fight lol.

And to those who are saying GSP and Silva should move up, I think they deserve their chances at putting together more defences than will ever be beaten.

Hughes got 7 and Silva is tied I believe. They shouldn't be forced to leave the divisions they're dominating. They earned it.