What was with Cro Cop?!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What was with Cro Cop?!
Next Page »
juggernautakira
9/20/09 12:42:54AM
Lord have mercy, I ve never seen such a lousy performance! Being a loyal fan, I am forced to hang it up for him.

RIP Cro Cop
tmas
9/20/09 12:46:25AM
he got dominated by a superior fighter it happens.
RyanC
9/20/09 12:58:10AM
Cro Cop is a shell of what he was in Pride. Personally I don't think he's got "IT" anymore, and he's gonna end up fighting out his contract, and being done with the UFC. Dos Santos might be better, but the old Cro Cop would have beat him. He doesn't have what it takes to beat the elite in the UFC.
mikevolz
9/20/09 1:01:39AM
its the exact same cro cop we've seen every fight since gonzaga.

ncordless
9/20/09 1:38:28AM
It is two things.

1) Mirko's body is breaking down. He has fought for almost 20 years and he like Chuck has lost the speed.

2) The level of competition is getting alot better. More fighters are learning real stand up skills and while Cro Cop has fought good competition in the past, there are no easy fights for him anymore.

The quick rise in competition and even quicker decline of Mirko's physical skills have made Cro Cops's fall from grace really fast.

But I will always be a fan of the fighter who owns the greatest highlight reel of all time and in his prime had mma fans not blinking for fear of missing the most devastating strike in the sport. I hope he accepts that his time has come, and if he is going to keep fighting I hope he gets reasonable competition for where he is at now.
StorminYourman
9/20/09 2:04:46AM
I had him losing this fight but the wierd thing was and it might have been me and the room of people that I was with but did it look like he wanted to cry and his hands were shakey.Rewatch it you have to and get back and let me know if I am just crazy.
seanfu
9/20/09 2:30:29AM
Same with Hughes, Chuck, Tito, Rich (as far as how dominant he was pre Anderson Silva to all the rough fights he's had), Wanderlei, the list goes on.
ncordless
9/20/09 2:34:46AM

Posted by seanfu

Same with Hughes, Chuck, Tito, Rich (as far as how dominant he was pre Anderson Silva to all the rough fights he's had), Wanderlei, the list goes on.

Yeah... the first generation of really great mma fighters is fading.
CanadianCripplr
9/20/09 2:58:11AM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by seanfu

Truly that really sums it up.
slapshot
9/20/09 3:23:24AM
I dont know that I agree completely with some of this but the way he just covered up and froze, what was he thinking? Thats not a body or reflex issue, he was getting out struck but for as bad as CC looked, footwork, striking, etc, I think it made Junior look somewhat bad as well for not taking him out sooner.
BustedKnuckle
9/20/09 9:24:20AM
Flat footed and throwing few strikes is not a way to win fights. Mirko looked bad again. I hate to say that. Dos Santos looked fresh in all three rounds and I cant wait to see who they put him in there with next time.
scobac
9/20/09 9:29:43AM

Posted by ncordless

It is two things.

1) Mirko's body is breaking down. He has fought for almost 20 years and he like Chuck has lost the speed.

2) The level of competition is getting alot better. More fighters are learning real stand up skills and while Cro Cop has fought good competition in the past, there are no easy fights for him anymore.

The quick rise in competition and even quicker decline of Mirko's physical skills have made Cro Cops's fall from grace really fast.

But I will always be a fan of the fighter who owns the greatest highlight reel of all time and in his prime had mma fans not blinking for fear of missing the most devastating strike in the sport. I hope he accepts that his time has come, and if he is going to keep fighting I hope he gets reasonable competition for where he is at now.

I dont disagree with this at all. One the thing that this fight showed me and I think it is so obvious is that Mirko is a man fighting without any confidence what so ever, he for a lack of better word looked flat out scared to fight. I think after what Gonzaga did to hiim and being taken out of Japan and in put in the states he is out of his comfort zone and that seems to have killed the mental game for him, even getting older Mirko is a much better fighter than he displayed in this fight but without confidence he may never show us what he truly has left skill wise. I think the only way to get that back is for him to start training with world class fighters at a different camp, surrounding himself with better training partners and coaches would probably do him alot of good but I also dont think that is something he would do at this point in his career. I wouldnt be suprised at all in coming months (maybe days) that he announced his retirement from the fight game. It would be unfortuneate but I think this fight was probably a real eye opnener for him (and the fans)
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
9/20/09 9:57:22AM
I had Mirko going down in the 1st but Ill accept him quitting in the 3rd
RyanC
9/20/09 10:39:25AM
Well if you listen to what Dana had to say after the fight it's probably over for Mirko.
jawbreaker517
9/20/09 11:13:40AM
I knew this was the end for Cro Cop. I've been trying to tell alot of people this about Dos Santos too. Dude has some serious hand speed for a heavyweight. H'ell be a contender soon.
RandyCouture
9/20/09 11:40:20AM
mirko was on the defensive side the whole 2nd and 3 rounds. He wasn't throwing any strikes. he would do this crazy hand wave thing and tie up with dos santos everytime. My whole group was getting mad cause he wasn't throwing anything. Either cardio played into a factor or he just lost his killer instinct I guess.
cowcatcher
9/20/09 2:31:13PM
hes gunshy, the guy just cant pull the trigger on anything anymore. hes my favorite fighter, has been for years, and it was just sad to watch the fight last night. i want to remember him as the guy in pride but its getting hard to do at this point because of how quickly hes faded.
RhythmAndStyle
9/20/09 8:27:57PM
lost alot of love for him..to me he's not even worth being used as a gate-keeper..just keep him fighting B level fighters in the UFC..so that it's be some what entertainin...
Jackelope
9/20/09 8:35:31PM
Being completely candid here I feel like I've seen this happen to guys and I've felt it happen within myself, too. There comes a point where you kind of lose that fire. It makes everything hard, and to me it looks like that is what Mirko has gone through. I don't know if he can get it back or not, but as a fan it pains me to see him in there fighting if he doesn't have the fire.

That being said, I'll always support Mirko because he's been so good to his fans throughout his career. If he should choose to keep fighting regardless of whether he's feeling back to his old self or not he'll have a fan rooting for him in me.
telnights
9/20/09 8:46:17PM

Posted by ncordless

It is two things.

My family is fairly good friends with Dan Severn who is the only guy I have met that knew when his time had come. Dan knew he could no longer compete at the high level but still wanted to compete so he keeps competing at a lower level. I just hope that Cro Cop is smart enough to see this like Dan did.
Wolfenstein
9/20/09 8:52:25PM
I didn't think it was a bad performance, I think his opponent, Dos Santos is just a very good striker. For some reason or another, it has wlays seemed like Mirko has difficulty with other good strikers.

I think maybe he got caught up in trying to counter too often, but he was landing some pretty effective left straights. Certainly Junior didn't come out unscathed--you know what I mean? His face was pretty busted up.
juggernautakira
9/20/09 9:06:14PM

Posted by RandyCouture

mirko was on the defensive side the whole 2nd and 3 rounds. He wasn't throwing any strikes. he would do this crazy hand wave thing and tie up with dos santos everytime. My whole group was getting mad cause he wasn't throwing anything. Either cardio played into a factor or he just lost his killer instinct I guess.

Bingo.

He would just stand there like a punching bag. It was disgraceful and makes me sick to the point of tears.
slapshot
9/21/09 2:44:42PM

Posted by jawbreaker517

I knew this was the end for Cro Cop. I've been trying to tell alot of people this about Dos Santos too. Dude has some serious hand speed for a heavyweight. H'ell be a contender soon.

Yeah, see he didn't look that impressive to me at all.
MrGreeny
9/21/09 8:04:34PM
Hey guys, do you think, that UFC should invest some money more for a better octagon surface?
A lot of fighters have complained how slippery was some times.
I remember Rich Franklin talking about he and his opponent were fighting over the ad surface, because they had better grip there.
Mirko CroCop was very unstable in the octagon. He slipped a lot of times. He fell at one point. I'm not saying that, this is why he lost, but i think it's stupid not to think of some other surface.
EvenFlow
9/21/09 9:09:45PM

Posted by tmas

he got dominated by a superior fighter it happens.

Ditto, at this point of CC's career he was looking for a home run KO and we all saw that last Saturday, we all saw CC basically give in to himself by the start of the 3rd round and basically was looking to avoid being KO'd after he couldnt catch Dos Santos. Idc if Cro Cop gave up, hes accomplished enough taking those shots from Dos Santos and also messing up Juniors face in the process.

I'm really sad for Cro Cop and I truely hope he does whats best for him and not whats best for the UFC, if he wants to make another run at the belt or legitamacy m all for watching him fight and I will always be a fan but at some point in your career you have you worry about your health and I think CC should take that in consideration, he has nothing left to prove. Hes one of the greatest HWs of all time, Idc what happened to him in the UFC, he major deserves respect for getting in there with the likes of Dos Santos for his possible last fight in MMA.
Rush
9/22/09 10:16:26PM
Well, in short he looked very timid. As if his spirit was broken in the first 30 sec and he never got into the fight. I was very disappointed. As for JDS, I still haven't bought into his hype. He didn't look that great to me as the fight went on. Considering how bad Cro Cop looked, JDS should have finished him in the second had he lived up to the hype.

Also, the stats said that JDS was 1 inch taller than Cro Cop. It looked a lot more than an inch in the staredown.
Doneskiis
9/23/09 4:55:44AM

Posted by CanadianCripplr

Posted by ncordless

Posted by seanfu

Truly that really sums it up. [/QUOTE

you dont say that!
prozacnation1978
9/23/09 10:22:20PM
doesn't matter now he quit!!
i can see why fedor might not wanna go to the ufc
he might become like cro cop,
sad to see him go out like this but man he should have been throwing those kicks alot more in his ufc matches, and striking more, be agressive
juggernautakira
9/24/09 2:28:51PM
Come to think of it, seeing Cro Cop lose like that may really scare the **** out of Fedor.
Violence108
9/24/09 4:22:31PM
Scenes all for Cro Cops sucsses was in Pride and he was the Open Weight Champion is 2006, and he is now retird , what becomes for this legacy?? There is no Pride Hall of Fame, so should he be in the UFC Hall of Fame?? i say yes he should.
Pages: [1] 2