Couture wants Fedor next, but might get ‘Big Nog’ instead

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Couture wants Fedor next, but might get ‘Big Nog’ instead
AmericanFighterAce
8/26/07 11:34:33AM
Who Is Next Randy?

“While not confirmed, UFC officials after the fight were talking about another Brazilian, Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, the former Pride heavyeight champion, as Couture’s next opponent…"
juanez13
8/26/07 11:41:49AM
i would love to see randy vs fedor, but if fedor signs somewhere else, there is no doubt that Big nog should get it next, some people think he had a poor showing against big nog, but i think he looked impressive, heath herring is a very hard guy to get subbed, and in pride he got out of almost every sub big nog had until he got caught with the anaconda choke, so i wasnt surprised that he heath didnt get subbed, and Big Nog showed how well rounded he is and stood there and traded with Heath, he has proven himself in the past before, and he doesnt need to prove that he is an elite fighter.......

it would be crazy if the UFC has Randy vs Big nog in december, along side with Chuck vs Wandy (or wandy Vs somebody), and serra vs hughes, thats would be a crazy card.....
brutalbones
8/26/07 11:52:26AM
I'm confident that Randy would beat Big Nog. His win last night should solidify him as the greatest HW of all time next to Fedor. Randy has always said that to be the best you have to fight the best, and I think that the fact that he asked to fight Fedor shows that he's wiling to put it all on the line to prove he's the best. I think that the UFC should do everything in their power to set up a match between Couture and Fedor before Randy's contract runs out or he retires again. They owe it to Randy. They owe it the fans.
AmericanFighterAce
8/26/07 11:53:00AM

Posted by juanez13

i would love to see randy vs fedor, but if fedor signs somewhere else, there is no doubt that Big nog should get it next, some people think he had a poor showing against big nog, but i think he looked impressive, heath herring is a very hard guy to get subbed, and in pride he got out of almost every sub big nog had until he got caught with the anaconda choke, so i wasnt surprised that he heath didnt get subbed, and Big Nog showed how well rounded he is and stood there and traded with Heath, he has proven himself in the past before, and he doesnt need to prove that he is an elite fighter.......

it would be crazy if the UFC has Randy vs Big nog in december, along side with Chuck vs Wandy (or wandy Vs somebody), and serra vs hughes, thats would be a crazy card.....

You are not kidding.
Look at last December, they ended it with a bang with Liddell/Ortiz II and Griffin/Jardine.

I think Randy vs. Fedor/Big Nog in December with the addition of Matt Hughes vs. Matt Serra and Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva would be the most fantastic card... ever.

But Hughes/Serra will be THE HEADLINING event so we will probably have to wait till Jan/Feb to see Randy back in the Octagon.
kopower
8/26/07 11:53:35AM
I agree That fight card in December would be crazy to end the year with. I really hope Wandy and Chuck fight soon.
LR
8/26/07 12:54:47PM
Randy vs. Fedor is a bad matchup for Randy. Fedor isn't a straight ground fighter, he's pretty much an all-around unbelievable fighter with the quickest transition game in MMA. Big Nog vs. Randy is intriguing, but Nog's ju-jitsu game is bar none one of the best in MMA. It'd be a good fight, and after what Randy did last night, I think he could beat Big Nog.
silverbullet
8/26/07 1:26:38PM

Posted by brutalbones

I'm confident that Randy would beat Big Nog. His win last night should solidify him as the greatest HW of all time next to Fedor. Randy has always said that to be the best you have to fight the best, and I think that the fact that he asked to fight Fedor shows that he's wiling to put it all on the line to prove he's the best. I think that the UFC should do everything in their power to set up a match between Couture and Fedor before Randy's contract runs out or he retires again. They owe it to Randy. They owe it the fans.

Randy is the greatest HW of all time? No, are you kidding me? He would get murdered in the LHW division. Liddell and Jackson would destroy him, and Henderson probably would too.

Randy's record is 16-8, which is rather subpar for a fighter of his caliber. He has 6 unavenged losses on his record. Yes, he's an inspiration to all fighting at 44 years old, but you have to be kidding yourself to consider Couture "the greatest HW of all time".
patdaddy
8/26/07 1:33:09PM
i dont care who you are or where you come from. if you are new in the ufc you shouldnt have one match and then fight for a title. especially when you went against a guy that isnt doing good in the ufc himself. so i dont think big nog should have a title shot, least not yet... i think they need to make vera vs sylvia possibly the next in line for title.. and make nog fight arvlosky to see who comes up the food chain...

as far as fedor goes, he is absolutely marvelous. but im not counting randy out for nothing.. so lets just wait to see. but my money is on a upset. id be betting on randy..
bls1919
8/26/07 1:49:15PM
We probably wont see randy again until January or later. That leaves time for big Nog to come in , and maybe fight the winer of Cro Cop/Congo. then that fighter could be in line. then there Silvia looking to return to the belt, and brandon vera is also in the mix.

P.S. Where did Jake Obrian go after he beat Heath Herring?
PaleHorse
8/26/07 2:01:20PM
I think that Nogueira is a great fighter and everything, but his debut fight with the UFC wasn't up to title shot standards just yet, they're bringing over plenty of heavyweights, what I want to see is a heavyweight grand prix.
Mattchupichu
8/26/07 2:47:46PM
Randy whopped Gabe's ass! He really did "beat the dog crap outta Gabe Gonzaga" just like he said he would. I need him to pick my lotto #'s for me. I'll never bet against him again unless it's Fedor he's fighting. Never bet against the russian experiment.
Chris_Keppel
8/26/07 3:41:18PM
Randy is defintly the greatest heavyweight of all time. Period. Name one fighter who would be as good as he is at 44?

There isn't one lol I'm not a #1 Randy Couture fan, but I do root for the guy everytime he steps in the cage simply because his age, heart, and desire to fight.

Gotta love him.
The_Grim_Reaper
8/26/07 4:09:28PM
yeah well its hard for randy to avenge those losses when some of those guys are retired, or have been under contract in othe rorganizations for such a long time

soo your sayin hes the greatest 44 year old hw of all time, yes i agree with this but to go as far as saying hes the greatest hw out of everyone of all time is redundant
Chris_Keppel
8/26/07 5:23:46PM
He's the greatest. Period.

Just like Ali was the greatest boxer. Tyson shoulda been the greatest boxer, cus he'd kick Ali's ass (two totally different time era's, it's like putting Reggie Bush in the 1950's to play football) but Ali is still known as the greatest boxer of all time.

Fedor, is probably the greatest FIGHTER of all time. But not the greatest champion of all time. That'd be Randy Couture. And I love him for it lol
juanez13
8/26/07 6:08:11PM

Posted by bls1919

We probably wont see randy again until January or later. That leaves time for big Nog to come in , and maybe fight the winer of Cro Cop/Congo. then that fighter could be in line. then there Silvia looking to return to the belt, and brandon vera is also in the mix.

P.S. Where did Jake Obrian go after he beat Heath Herring?

jake O;brien had possibly carreer ending injury, apparently he had it since college, its called STINGERS, wich fucks up you back, no word on how he is doing right now, but you can go to ufcjunkie.com, and put jake O'Brien, and it will tell you the more detailed story...
brutalbones
8/26/07 6:34:57PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by brutalbones

Randy is the greatest HW of all time? No, are you kidding me? He would get murdered in the LHW division. Liddell and Jackson would destroy him, and Henderson probably would too.

Randy's record is 16-8, which is rather subpar for a fighter of his caliber. He has 6 unavenged losses on his record. Yes, he's an inspiration to all fighting at 44 years old, but you have to be kidding yourself to consider Couture "the greatest HW of all time".

Fist off, I didn't say anything about the LHW divison. Secondly, he would probably beat Liddell and Jackson. I'll give you Henderson though, it would be a good fight. Lastly, I said he was the greatest heavyweight NEXT to Fedor.
puppettamer
8/26/07 6:56:27PM
i really hope he faces big nog that would be great i hope he only faces the top5's from now on till he leaves the sport once again.
xphycorx
8/26/07 7:03:19PM
i agree that big nog should be next for couture. yes, big nog's performance against herrring wasn't all that impressive, but his overall record is extremely impressive. he deserves a shot more than anybody CURRENTLY (keyword) in the heavyweight division of the UFC. when couture/big nog fight, the winner should then fight fedor if he is signed by then. if fedor is not signed, the maybe if vera beats sylvia he should fight the winner of couture/big nog.
Vietnamese_Guy
8/26/07 10:45:49PM
Big nog's boxing is at least on par with couture, and heath landed that kick square on the chin, it takes a fighter with tremendous heart to get kicked like that and somehow win via UD.
postman
8/26/07 10:52:29PM
I might be wrong but I thought the winner of Cro Cop and Congo was next in line? The more I think about it there would be no reason for that but I could have sworne that was the case.
silverbullet
8/27/07 9:34:37AM

Posted by brutalbones

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by brutalbones

Fist off, I didn't say anything about the LHW divison. Secondly, he would probably beat Liddell and Jackson. I'll give you Henderson though, it would be a good fight. Lastly, I said he was the greatest heavyweight NEXT to Fedor.

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Couture lost to Liddell twice. If you think Liddell's striking is sloppy, watch the Saturday fight and count how many shots Gabe landed on Couture. If Gabe could strike worth a damn, that fight would ended very differently.

I think Randy is a great fighter, who was very fortunate to get a title shot when he did.

Calling Randy the greatest heavy weight of all time is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
LR
8/27/07 9:34:59AM
Randy Couture is the greatest heavyweight of all-time? What evidence supports that? He's 16-8. He hasn't fought the top echelon PRIDE Heavyweights yet. That's why Dana is pushing the PRIDE Heavyweights to fight Randy now. Big Nog is a huge test. If he can beat him, and beat CroCop, then you can put Randy at #2, but the greatest Heavyweight of all-time is Fedor, bar none.

He's beaten every top heavyweight in the world but Barnett, and Barnett will probably be in the future. Fedor vs. Randy would possibly be a great fight, but everyone thought Mark Coleman would take Fedor out and he got subb'd after he made one little mistake. I think the same would happen to Randy. And it has happened to Randy in the past.
Lay_N_Pray
8/27/07 12:09:59PM
Randy might not be the best heavyweight of all-time but he will be the equivalent to Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan, and Wayne Gretzky as far as MMA goes.

This was the guy MMA needed and he is the reason UFC is in business and people have jobs. Yes, Fedor is the greatest fighter of all time. Yes, Gracie was the one to develop the sport...but without a doubt Randy IS the sport.

His record doesnt mean crap and win or lose to PRIDE fighters he will be MMA's ultimate legend. In 50 years from now, if MMA is still around, he will be the one that old grandpas are talkin about to their grandchildren who are watchin the new hot commidity. And the old guys will be sayin I remeber when Randy fought...he could beat men three men at once, fight five times in a night, all that folklore will be associated with The Natural.
LR
8/27/07 1:00:33PM
Yes, there is no doubt about that, he will be considered a legend.
brutalbones
8/27/07 4:57:37PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by brutalbones

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by brutalbones

I don't want to burst your bubble, but Couture lost to Liddell twice. If you think Liddell's striking is sloppy, watch the Saturday fight and count how many shots Gabe landed on Couture. If Gabe could strike worth a damn, that fight would ended very differently.

I think Randy is a great fighter, who was very fortunate to get a title shot when he did.

Calling Randy the greatest heavy weight of all time is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Your not bursting anythng. Couture smashed Liddell the first time around. And you can play the "what if" game all you want, Gonzaga got smashed because he's not on Randy's level. And for the last time, I said Randy's the best heavyweight NEXT to Fedor.

p.s. Saying Randy would get beat by Liddell or Jackson is the dumbest thing that I'VE ever heard.
kimoron
8/28/07 1:43:33AM
there is no way that i could ever be disapointed with randy fighting anyone in the top five and a fight with nog would be nothing short of fantastic.
punisher
8/28/07 2:36:58AM
I will say this once i dont care what ppl think of what im going too say but Randy is a better fighter than fedor and will beat him there is no one right now in heavy that could beat randy now
jgtribbett
8/28/07 6:30:18AM
big nog is a great compeditor.. that would be a good one for courture. when i think of possoble champions.. only a few names come to mind.
vera, fedor, courture, cro cop, big nog and hunt. thats it.
i would like to see, nog get a shot... but i'd like to see vera vs big nog first haha..
that would be a pretty tech jj match
MartinKillMcGill
8/28/07 12:27:46PM

Posted by patdaddy

i dont care who you are or where you come from. if you are new in the ufc you shouldnt have one match and then fight for a title. especially when you went against a guy that isnt doing good in the ufc himself. so i dont think big nog should have a title shot, least not yet... i think they need to make vera vs sylvia possibly the next in line for title.. and make nog fight arvlosky to see who comes up the food chain...

as far as fedor goes, he is absolutely marvelous. but im not counting randy out for nothing.. so lets just wait to see. but my money is on a upset. id be betting on randy..

To most of what you are saying Nog has came to the ufc with a massive reputation and has impressed in pride. But the fact of the matter is he as one win in the UFC against a heavyweight IMO outside the top 10 If he was to fight AA our a top 5 heavyweight then I would have no problem with him getting a shot