Couture Quits UFC

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Couture Quits UFC
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Rush
10/11/07 3:52:36PM
I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, not until the UFC makes an official announcement.
Darnok
10/11/07 3:55:04PM
The really sad part of all of this is that Randy will probably seak oput the fight with Fedor and it will happen in some jerkwater town in Russia and none of will be able to watch it except on YouBube.
Bowen50
10/11/07 3:56:09PM
lmfao well this is obviously a steaming heap of bull sh!t
thepunisher
10/11/07 3:58:34PM
Either Randy is going to go down as Judah or Jesus after this move. It all depends on what he does next
Scott_Revels
10/11/07 4:09:39PM

Posted by Rush

I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch, not until the UFC makes an official announcement.

We'll probably see a formal announcement either on their website or at UFC 77. I'm now wondering if the upcoming Sylvia vs Vera fight will be for the heavyweight title or not.

I am going to keep Randy in my top 10, but seriously, i'll drop him all the way off my list if he really did leave the UFC.
jiujitsufreak74
10/11/07 4:16:15PM
i honestly don't know how to react with this article rankings wise. for the mean time i will deny it, even thought i know its true...damn, this really hurts the ufc, but more importantly the HW division. With randy gone nothing seems as good anymore...

Fedor, now randy...whats going on!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
tuvok500
10/11/07 4:27:48PM
uhmmm, well, i will have to wait the official confirmation by the ufc to believe it, it is not the style of randy to just turn is back to an organization like ufc.
randy is not going to broke is contract like that, it is simply not the ways he want to leave the sport. so i will wait the announcement.

fullfighting
10/11/07 4:28:04PM
NOOOOO! This is insane??? Can't be true. Say it aint so Randy.
DoTheMMAth
10/11/07 4:31:43PM
There probably won't be an official announcement from the UFC, why would they want to publicize the fact that they just lost their marquee heavyweight? Kind of like the way they don't usually mention fighters from other org's unless it looks like it's a near done-deal that they're UFC-bound. Don't ask, don't tell == UFC
szucconi
10/11/07 4:37:20PM
here

an interveiw of randy about why he is leaving. He will have to wait 9 months for his current contract to expire before he can fight anywhere else.
TNunley
10/11/07 4:41:24PM

Posted by szucconi

here

an interveiw of randy about why he is leaving. He will have to wait 9 months for his current contract to expire before he can fight anywhere else.

Walsh strikes again... God you're funny, ok so maybe you don't intend to be but you really need to change that picture... I can't take you serious. I clicked on that link thinking I would go to some joke website.

Props man.
jiujitsufreak74
10/11/07 4:43:30PM

Posted by tuvok500

uhmmm, well, i will have to wait the official confirmation by the ufc to believe it, it is not the style of randy to just turn is back to an organization like ufc.
randy is not going to broke is contract like that, it is simply not the ways he want to leave the sport. so i will wait the announcement.

heres mmaweekly's take : LINK

i didn't want to believe it either m8
AAfan
10/11/07 4:46:52PM
i thought it was just a rumor at first but i went to like every mma website i could think of and they all said same the thing. I went mmaweekly and they said they confirmed it. heres the link to that sitehttp://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4867&zoneid=2
brooklynbadass
10/11/07 4:49:39PM
has anyone read the sherdog interview? wow I feel bad for the guy now...

Thursday, October 11, 2007
by Josh Gross (joshg@sherdog.com)

Randy Couture (Pictures), the face of the Ultimate Fighting Championship and one of mixed martial arts most revered fighters, notified the UFC via fax from South Africa at 11 o'clock Thursday morning that he has chosen to resign from the UFC, "The Natural" confirmed with Sherdog.com.

"I sent the letter of resignation to the UFC today, resigning not only from my position in the company as a commentator and as an ambassador, but also as the heavyweight champion," Couture said over the phone from South Africa, where he is currently filming a movie.

"The motivation for the decision is two-fold," he continued. "I know Fedor (Emelianenko) just signed with another organization and that's the only real fight that makes sense for me at 44 years old as the heavyweight champion of the UFC. That's the fight I wanted and if that can't happen it doesn't make sense for me to compete with all these other guys. And then obviously that's not going to happen now. And, two, I'm tired of being taken advantage of, played as the nice guy and basically swimming against the current with the management of the UFC. I have a lot of other things going on in my life that I'm doing just fine with. I don't need the problems. I don't feel like I get the respect I deserve from the organization, and that's motivation No. 2 for the letter of resignation that was sent today."

Couture (16-8) is the only fighter in UFC history to hold belts in two weight divisions. The current UFC heavyweight champion, he recaptured the belt in March by coming out of retirement to out-point Tim Sylvia (Pictures). Couture defended the title in August, stopping challenger Gabriel Gonzaga (Pictures) in the third round.

The Sylvia win came after a year away from the sport after Couture suffered the second of two knockouts to then UFC light heavyweight champion Chuck Liddell (Pictures). Couture won the first bout in the trilogy by capturing an interim UFC light heavyweight title in June of 2003, stopping Liddell in the third period.

Couture's ledger in the UFC reads like a who's who. "The Natural" first captured UFC heavyweight gold against Maurice Smith (Pictures) in 1997 before doing it for the third time against Sylvia in 2007.

A day after news broke that Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures), the widely regarded top heavyweight in the sport, had apparently declined to sign with the UFC, Couture submitted his resignation.

"I want that fight and would have waited if the fight was offered to me," Couture said. "Knowing what they offered him, I would have made demands to get paid equally or better than him as the champion. Whether or not those would have been met is another question."

Couture will have to wait nine months for his current UFC deal to lapse before he can go after Emelianenko. Over that span Couture said he will concentrate on acting, continuing to franchise his Xtreme Couture training facilities, as well as growing his Xtreme Couture clothing line.

His success outside the ring is proof of his success inside the Octagon. But Couture said it was a lack of respect by the UFC, in particular its president Dana White, that led him to resigning.

"I think the final straw for me was meeting with White and Lorenzo (Fertitta, UFC co-owner) where they claimed I was the No. 2 paid athlete in the organization, which I know is a bold-faced lie," Couture said. Polling other athletes, said Couture, he learned that his compensation -- some $250,000 a fight with pay-per-view bonuses, according to the Couture camp -- was nowhere near what other top UFC fighters were making.

"All us athletes are all pretty tightly intertwined," he said. "You hear what other guys were paid signing bonuses and what other guys were paid on the record and off the record with bonuses. I've heard Chuck's numbers. Tito's numbers. Hughes' numbers. Quinton's numbers. Cro Cop, Wanderlei. I heard what they were offering Fedor, and it's insulting."

Couture's rocky history with the Zuffa-owned UFC began in 2001.

"I think what set us off on the wrong foot was that my management [at the time] wasn't willing to give up ancillary rights across the board with no option for some sort of compensation," said Couture, alluding to a reason cited by Emelianenko's representatives as to why the Russian did not end up with the UFC. "All the other athletes at that time were signing those contracts. That created a lot of animosity and got me pulled out of the Carmen Electra campaigns to promote the athletes and the sport and the video game and all that stuff."

Beyond the money, both Couture and his wife Kim stressed Thursday's resignation from the UFC was about respect. It's a move "The Natural" acknowledged could have far-reaching effects.

"Certainly there's personal motivation for resigning and taking stand for myself," he said. "If it sets a precedence that down the road requires athletes to be treated better than that's icing on the cake."

Attempts to reach the UFC for comment went unreturned.
wapttn
10/11/07 4:49:43PM
this is ridiculous.
tuvok500
10/11/07 4:50:18PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

There probably won't be an official announcement from the UFC, why would they want to publicize the fact that they just lost their marquee heavyweight? Kind of like the way they don't usually mention fighters from other org's unless it looks like it's a near done-deal that they're UFC-bound. Don't ask, don't tell == UFC

man, it is the biggest news in mma since ufc 1, they have to make an official announcement, it is not like losing joe rogan or even big john, it is losing there best fighter , there #1 beloved guy, there HW champion , it is impossible to do like if nothing has happen, and go to sponsor, mma activity or even ufc event and not have to explain the situation to all the fans in the world, ufc is now too big to act like if they have just lost 1 fighter among the others.

loonytnt
10/11/07 4:51:27PM
fedor cant run to far now randy is coming for him imo, fedor didnt want this fight imo but randy is going make it happen
wapttn
10/11/07 4:54:56PM
new crack theory:

russian mafia who actually bought m-1 threatened randy's family into quitting the ufc and signing with them
bayonetxwork
10/11/07 5:00:24PM
WTF?!
twoguns365
10/11/07 5:07:09PM
well...wow.

if those quotes from Randy are accurate, seems like him and Dana weren't all that close. "Swimming upstream against management" is not something you say just for not signing Fedor. Sounds like there's been trouble in paradise for some time now. What a shame....but if he's a free agent, EliteXC and others are probably shitting themselves w/ excitement.
buckndro
10/11/07 5:14:29PM
works both ways im glad to hear that someone is tired of this bullshit payouts an managment an dana i like dana but he does some shit things sucsk not gonna see randy in ufc but hopefully he faces fedor in m-1 or whatever an then retires after that hes already beat big names came back from retirement an more last is to fight fedor to prove who is the best in the world win or lose then retire.. tho i would love to randy in mma scene still :/
mrsmiley
10/11/07 5:14:46PM
This could put a monkey wrench in UFC's dominance in the world of MMA.

OKay that might be a big strech,but if another organization is going to host possibly the biggest fight in MMA's modern history,I'm just interested to see what the UFC and Dana White says about this.

They couldn't get Fedor and now they lost Couture and they were too stubborn to sign Josh Barnett.I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.
jgordon85
10/11/07 5:18:19PM
damn that sucks. i think there is always a chance for randy to fight fedor. that is all he wants to do. i want to see that fight. randy does good commentary so we could look forward to that. randy is going to try hard to fight fedor if he has to leave the ufc then so be it.
JWils
10/11/07 5:19:02PM
Happy trails, Randy. You're the man!

Hopefully he will at least do some commentating with Rogan in the future.
Gimmefive
10/11/07 5:20:37PM
You know what, good for Randy. As the UFC grows and dominates, in the most likelihood, they are going to take advantage of their athletes. When you see some of the salaries of the lesser known fighters during the PPV, it's obvious to see that this is not exactly a fair organization.

Does anyone not see any parallels between the UFC and WWE? Let's hope it will not be this way because that will just mean a crappy UFC promotion down the road.
Aaronno9
10/11/07 5:23:20PM
confirmation from dana :(

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=news.detail&gid=8236
babalu2720
10/11/07 5:24:01PM
I come home to this I am absolutely shocked, but you can't possibly be mad at him he has done the sport well
StevieC
10/11/07 5:48:40PM
As sucky as it is can you blame him?? I mean he doesn't need to fight anyone else but Fedor, I wouldn't pick anyone but Fedor to beat him, not saying Fedor would win either( I NEVER BET AGAINST RANDY)...

In my opinion Fedor is a pussy for signing else where and not signing at least a one fight contract to see who the best is, I am and forever will keep Couture number 1 in my rankings until I see those two fight....

What the hell is M-1 anyway?? Gosh Fedor is a complete Moron....
allevil86
10/11/07 5:50:39PM
Dana:

"So when he is ready to come out of retirement again, he is still under contract with me, and I’m ready to promote him.”

Randy is'nt going to go hunt down fedor he is done fighting( If he tries Zuffa Will sue the shit out og him). He is pursuing other ventures he doesn't need to fight. He's apparently doing a lot of acting plus his gyms he making bank.
szucconi
10/11/07 6:01:05PM

Posted by allevil86

Dana:

"So when he is ready to come out of retirement again, he is still under contract with me, and I’m ready to promote him.”

Randy is'nt going to go hunt down fedor he is done fighting( If he tries Zuffa Will sue the shit out og him). He is pursuing other ventures he doesn't need to fight. He's apparently doing a lot of acting plus his gyms he making bank.

Randy's contract expires in 9 months. After that he can go anywhere. He has come back from a long layoff before, but he will be that much older this time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4