Court McGee: From Half-Naked Drug Addict To TUF Finalist

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Court McGee: From Half-Naked Drug Addict To TUF Finalist
DCRage
6/18/10 10:01:28AM
Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 11 finalist Court McGee is one fight away from completing an unlikely (and somewhat miraculous) turnaround in his life. The last time McGee was in Las Vegas he was wandering the streets with no pants looking for meth. Now he's back as one of TUF's biggest success stories, which he can cap off on Saturday night (June 19) against Kris McCray.

Article
lickedysplit
6/18/10 10:03:44AM
what an achievement- give the man his props-and i am sending him hope and good will to win his fight. the top looks brighter when you have traveled from the bottoms- wtg court
skitzo
6/18/10 11:22:14AM
Agreed, I'm definitely pulling for McGee in this fight. War McGee!!!
sbulldavid
6/18/10 12:03:18PM
I think Court is exaggerated, I think Court is a mostly fabricated story by some suburban kid, and he wouldn't know an addict if he seen one.
cowcatcher
6/18/10 12:05:57PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think Court is exaggerated, I think Court is a mostly fabricated story by some suburban kid, and he wouldn't know an addict if he seen one.

JSmooth1da
6/18/10 1:06:37PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Without facts to prove this, it's a pretty shallow knock on the guy if his struggles are legitimate. I would like to see Court win because of his past, but I like the McCray betting line.
emfleek
6/18/10 1:10:51PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Thanks for making a great case for adding a negative props feature to the site.
FlashyG
6/18/10 1:43:13PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I'll leave this here for you ......Link
jay98107
6/18/10 3:30:52PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Nobody cares what you 'think'.
noahgenda
6/18/10 3:55:43PM
im pretty sure most heroin addicts started out as "some suburban kid"

at least in my experience
machodog76
6/18/10 6:25:38PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think this is the first troll I've seen on this site. Looks like you got a few goats with that statement. His story looked pretty hairball to me.
BlueSkiesBurn
6/18/10 6:57:09PM

Posted by sbulldavid

As someone who's done more heroin than I ever should have, I can tell you that I was born and raised in Laguna Beach/Irvine. If that's not suburban I don't know what is. Most of my "thug" friends couldn't even administer the drug to themselves and had to ask me to help. Just because a kid is from the suburbs does not mean he's exaggerating. I was a homeless drug addict from 17-21 and I'm as white middle class as it gets. Suburban kids who want to hit the streets might START as a choice, but let me tell you, sooner or later, just like any drug addict, their families stop wanting them around and it no longer becomes a choice. That was pretty much the most uninformed statement I've even seen someone post since I've been a member of the site.

EDIT: I've been clean and sober for 7 and during that time I have completed two college degrees. I have nothing but respect and COMPLETE understanding for the road McGee has traveled.
a-bombizzle
6/18/10 7:42:35PM
I personally have never been an addict but I've seen up close how the drugs and or alcohol can ruin lives and kill (especially kids from the berbs). mcgee deserves huge props for pulling himself out of the gutter anyone that doesn't think so needs a slap.you don't make stories like that up just to be cool.
theruler_
6/18/10 8:27:44PM
i've had similar difficulties in the past although i must concede heroin was not one of them. personally i don't think i deserve any extra respect for getting out of the hole and re-establishing a normal life. after all, i got myself into that situation to begin with.

i give props to court for reaching the final of a tough tournament. that is a good accomplishment. as far as recovering from addiction goes, he has done something that will give him a tremendous feeling of pride and confidence. but imo not necessarily something he deserves extra credit for.
emfleek
6/18/10 8:50:28PM
I don't think he's asking for extra credit. I think he's striving for self redemption.
theruler_
6/18/10 8:53:51PM

Posted by emfleek

I don't think he's asking for extra credit. I think he's striving for self redemption.

i don't think he is either, but people are giving it to him all the same.
tn_rebel
6/18/10 9:47:30PM
I didn't feel that bad for him until I read that article. Wow, not being able to use condiments is terrible!
sbulldavid
6/19/10 1:23:30AM
I was not trolling, and I just stated from experience what my thoughts were, he's had some terrible things happen in his life, but it's just my opinion on his drug stories, I don't doubt he's overcome things, I hope he does well. If I offended anyone I'm sorry, it said what I thought and I'm done with it.