Conor McGregor: ‘Legitimizing the title’ takes priority over ‘money fights’

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Conor McGregor: ‘Legitimizing the title’ takes priority over ‘money fights’
POLL: Will Conor McGregor defend his Lightweight Title next?
Yes 50% (3)
No 50% (3)
Braden
9/30/17 2:22:16PM
Although he alluded to all types of scenarios in terms of his next challenge, Conor McGregor seems determined to defend his lightweight title rather than contest another “money fight” the next time we see him in action.

Link
tildengolfer
9/30/17 5:04:56PM
I’ll believe it when I see it.
aussiemma
9/30/17 11:00:01PM

Posted by tildengolfer

I’ll believe it when I see it.

haha yep. Conor goes wherever the money is

all i've heard is about the 3rd fight with Nate and nothing about defending his belt.
Braden
9/30/17 11:41:17PM
I clicked no, but after thinking about it they may do Conor vs Nate for the Lightweight title, which would be a title fight but a bullshit one. If it’s not to unify the belts against the Fergy/Lee winner, then I don’t know if I can really consider it a legit title defence. At least that’s what I was meaning to get at with this poll.
aussiemma
10/1/17 12:11:20AM

Posted by Five-Alive

I clicked no, but after thinking about it they may do Conor vs Nate for the Lightweight title, which would be a title fight but a bullshit one. If it’s not to unify the belts against the Fergy/Lee winner, then I don’t know if I can really consider it a legit title defence. At least that’s what I was meaning to get at with this poll.

That would be a disgrace if Conor fought Nate for the lightweight title.
Ninja_Nicoya
10/1/17 1:10:06AM
He will probably fight diaz for the lightweight title.
xdanish020
10/1/17 3:15:52AM
I agree.

And we shall see.

Budgellism
10/1/17 6:50:59AM
We're a little passed that imo...

He was already stripped of one title because it was never defended. He held it so long they had to make an interim and then eliminate that interim altogether because it became obvious Conor wasn't ever fighting at 145 again (Which is fine but don't hold up the fucking division. Just say it right off the bat...). Now he has another title and we're coming up on a year of no defence. Instead he goes to a different sport so again they have to make another interim title. Now he's "weighing his options" instead of just out right saying "I'm going to be defending the Lightweight title next and nothing else".

I don't think he will be defending that title and if he does it'll be a bullshit defence against Nate. Which really pisses me off because McGregor is the draw here. He can fight anyone and it's going to do well. Why not bring that attention to a belt so that it's actually respectable to own one again...

We're probably going to see Woodley/McGregor at some point in the near future for god knows what reason. I dunno. I like watching Conor fight but at this point I'd be happier if he walked away I think. You can't blame the guy for constantly going after the biggest payday but you can certainly blame his employers for having no balls. And always taking the short-sighted approach.
AndyWarho
10/1/17 11:37:06AM
Budge,what makes you think a McGregor-Woodley fight is in the cards? That would be a very bad matchup for Mac imo. I don't see either UFC or Mac thinking he could get a ww strap. I could be wrong but I don't think they'd be that stupid and why would UFC want to give" boring" Woodley such a big money fight?
The whole "superfight" thing is fun but hopefully it gets back to business as usual and Mac defends the belt against the legit contender.