Coker: Maybe Fedor Should Fight Overeem And Winner Gets Werdum

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Coker: Maybe Fedor Should Fight Overeem And Winner Gets Werdum
DCRage
7/3/10 12:00:50PM
In other words, he's thinking that if you want a shot at the Strikeforce Heavyweight Title, all you have to do is earn a marquee fight and then just lose. "My feeling is maybe Fedor should fight Alistair Overeem and whoever wins that fight gets to fight Fabricio Werdum. I would love to see that fight too, Alistair and Fedor, I would love to see that fight happen. Here's the thing, we just saw Fedor fight Werdum; I'm not saying we couldn't do the rematch [Fedor vs. Werdum] first but I'm saying there are a couple options on the table. Until we sit down with M-1, we're just talking about different options and that [Fedor vs. Overeem] is one of the options."

Article
jlock003
7/3/10 12:40:01PM
So just throwing this out ther...I know the championship structure has been off with Overeem as far as when he will fight/who he will fight, but I would imagine that any intelligent business man would have a championship clause in any fighter's contract i.e. Randy Couture a few years back. So give Fedor the title shot, he beats Overeem, and then he is locked into a deal for 3-5 more fights with strikeforce? Strictly speculation but it seems like a business move and after Fedor just dropped one not necessarily a bad one. Now I also realize that m-1 dictates a great deal of Fedor's terms, but his contract with them is also up after his next fight so I'm imagining everybody is trying to renegotiate now. If SF gives Fedor a substantial deal now for like a 3 fight extension and add the championship clause which would extend his contract for 3-5 fights then Fedor wins b/c the UFC isn't going to pay him anywhere near what he is worth after a loss (just ask Werdum), and SF wins b/c they keep their best HW in their organization.
RearNakedJoke
7/3/10 1:32:36PM
i called this...

so apparently Werdum beat Fedor so now he is the Super champion and they are going to try and convince us that Fedor and Overeem need to fight each other for the priviledge to fight Werdum.

get real coker!
Aether
7/3/10 1:35:24PM
well it makes sense if we stick with the precedent of title matches going to the loser of a contender fight.
jae_1833
7/3/10 2:18:50PM
Wow....they got this #1 contender thing all F-ed up!!
meier
7/3/10 2:20:10PM
this is why i hardly get into strikeforce. stupid crap like this
BigIP
7/3/10 2:37:35PM
Werdum deserves a shot at Overeem first. Fedor should fight Big Foot.
Twenty20Dollars
7/3/10 2:42:47PM
Well either way fedor is going to fight overeem or werdum because doesnt he only have 1 fight left on his contract now?

Or is it two fights left, because if it is two then things could be a little different.
Fedor/Big Foot faces the winner of Overeem/Werdum
BlueSkiesBurn
7/3/10 3:43:02PM
I'd love to see the MMAth book that Strikeforce is using. It's even more f*cked up than the people use on this site. Gotta love Strikeforce and their backwards ass way of doing things.

Post 3000
ncordless
7/3/10 4:29:30PM
They need to just scrap the HW title and start over. It means next to nothing right now, and never really did anyway. They created it with the Alistair win over Buentello, kept it on the shelf for over a year, brought in Fedor who didn't get a title shot right away even though he was everyone's #1 HW, gave the title shot to the guy who had just lost to Fedor, and now talk about giving the shot to Fedor right after his loss.

Alistair's belt means nothing. Fedor was the champ and now Werdum is.
dangerfield
7/3/10 4:32:11PM
At the risk of sounding like a UFC nuthugger or whatever this is exatly the kind of bumgravy I've come to expect from SF.

They have no respect for their titles (not only this but the fact that a Cung Le Scott Smith fight will out rank a title fight as would Fedor vs Rogers) then the loser in a fight getting a title shot, not just once in Grim but now its being suggested again?

My list of grievances with Scott Coker grows with each show and announcement, yeah its MMA yeah its good fighters have another home and yes some of their fights are really good but its not enough to make up for rinky-dink moves like this.

No excuse for this

Two thumbs down
BlueSkiesBurn
7/3/10 4:53:12PM
I personally think it's comedy. I don't know what's going through their heads, but it's funny as hell to me. It's like Aether said, why do things the right way now? Keep the status quo.
bjj1605
7/3/10 5:18:38PM
I hope he's making fun of the fact that he gave Rogers a shot after he lost to Fedor. I hope he's not being serious. If he is Strikeforce is running out of shreds of legitimacy. I won't be surprised if they close up shop some time in 2011.
mrsmiley
7/3/10 6:18:01PM
I don't think this is a bad matchup,it just devalues the SF HW title.
With that being said,like it was mentioned above just scrap the title and start fresh.
tcunningham
7/3/10 6:54:37PM
i think werdum needs to fight for the title and fedor fights somebody else. then later on give him a chance to avenge his loss to werdum. i dont think werdum is that good and i seriously think he's gonna get SMASHED by overeem. i say give a fedor a chance to clean up that loss by winning a few fights then send him overeems way. he at least deserves a chance to clear his loss up befor overeem KO's him
RearNakedJoke
7/4/10 2:52:44AM
If Fedor is as great as people claim he can win a fight or two and earn a title shot against the winner of werdum and overeem. If Werdum and Fedor were to lose there next fights strikeforce could easily justify the rematch.

problem is Cokers only got fedor for 1 more fight and he could very well jump ship to some other promotion or just retire before he Coker gets to cash in on a big Fedor fight.
Twenty20Dollars
7/4/10 1:18:36PM
HW tourney anyone?

ziegler3334
7/4/10 1:58:30PM
I like Strikeforce, and all other orgs., but i've always preferred UFC. It's just a bigger scale. But stuff like this is how no one can contend with the UFC. They all want to make big waves (Affliction and Strikeforce). And the trouble with that is if it doesn't go as they laid it out, they are left with limited options. They kind of paint themselves into a corner. A few things that have led Coker to sound like he's on the ropes.....

- The all-powerful, god among men, best of all time Fedor losing to a UFC reject.
- The only guy they could "steal" from the UFC (Henderson) getting his ass beat by the guy the UFC just "stole" from them (Shileds) <speculation>
- Mousasi losing to Mo Lawal
- Cung Le beating Scott Smith on the eve of their tournament, but deciding he doesn't want to take part in it.
- Sobral beating Lawler, their go to guy, but doesn't want to challenge Lawal at LHW
- The PR nightmare involving Nick Diaz and Jason Miller

Tough series of events for Strikeforce.
mrsmiley
7/4/10 4:03:54PM

Posted by ziegler3334

I like Strikeforce, and all other orgs., but i've always preferred UFC. It's just a bigger scale. But stuff like this is how no one can contend with the UFC. They all want to make big waves (Affliction and Strikeforce). And the trouble with that is if it doesn't go as they laid it out, they are left with limited options. They kind of paint themselves into a corner. A few things that have led Coker to sound like he's on the ropes.....

- The all-powerful, god among men, best of all time Fedor losing to a UFC reject.
- The only guy they could "steal" from the UFC (Henderson) getting his ass beat by the guy the UFC just "stole" from them (Shileds) <speculation>
- Mousasi losing to Mo Lawal
- Cung Le beating Scott Smith on the eve of their tournament, but deciding he doesn't want to take part in it.
- Sobral beating Lawler, their go to guy, but doesn't want to challenge Lawal at LHW
- The PR nightmare involving Nick Diaz and Jason Miller

Tough series of events for Strikeforce.

I agree with all your points,save perhaps the one about Werdum being a UFC reject. If I remember correctly the UFC let him go because he was asking for more money. Perhaps i'm wrong though.