Coach Kavanagh slams ‘ridiculous’ and ‘shortsighted’ decision to strip Conor McGregor of UFC title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Coach Kavanagh slams ‘ridiculous’ and ‘shortsighted’ decision to strip Conor McGregor of UFC title
Five-Alive
11/29/16 2:06:28PM
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) lightweight titleholder Conor McGregor is no longer the organization’s reigning featherweight champion after promotion president Dana White made good on his promise to strip “Notorious” of the 145-pound strap.

Coach John Kavanagh isn’t happy about it.

“For me personally, I was very disappointed with how they went about doing it. It was a very messy set of circumstances which led to doing it. They lost [UFC 206] main event and then they haphazardly threw together a new main event. They felt they had to make this for a title in order for it to sell so they brought in another interim title that Jose Aldo already has and then bumped Jose Aldo up to the current undisputed champion, which just seems ridiculous to me. Conor has only been 11 months since he won that title. There have been many, many examples of fighters waiting 15 months, 18 months before defending it. He’s 11 months and they stripped him of it. I thought it was very shortsighted by the UFC how they went about doing it.”

Link
airkerma
11/29/16 8:10:39PM
He has a point but it falls short considering conor has been active in other weight classes
GSPCanada
11/29/16 10:02:01PM
11 months and conor has not even mentioned any intent of defending his 145 lb title, many champs have gone months without fighting, very few have gone this long without accepting a fight or signing a deal. You want to keep the belt. sign the contract.
quezocrema0032
11/29/16 10:46:03PM
I really think that this was conor's best case scenario and the outcome he wanted. He never had to cut down to 145 again and no matter what he can talk crap (and we know he loves to do that) that whoever wins is a paper champ because they never beat him. Of course some fans and most fighters know he wasn't giving any of them a chance to do so but the millions of dumb conor fans will support him no matter what and echo his sentiment. Conor really doesn't lose anything, sure he loses a belt but if he was never going to defend it anyway does that even hurt him?

I dislike Conor but there's no denying the guy is several steps ahead of everyone else in the game. If Cormier didn't get hurt he may have been able to milk his reign for another few months.
aussiemma
11/29/16 10:56:28PM
Kavanagh is so opinionated it's a little bit annoying

Eddie Alvarez " why do you have 2 jiujitsu coaches ?! "
shaneTpain
11/30/16 8:12:49AM
It's only been 11 months?! Fuck off Kavanaugh! That's like 3 years in MMA time.
scoozna
11/30/16 2:06:52PM

Posted by shaneTpain

It's only been 11 months?! Fuck off Kavanaugh! That's like 3 years in MMA time.

Haha...well stated.
prozacnation1978
11/30/16 5:32:06PM
Taking 3 straight fights outside his title division and not defending is a strip in my opinion