Chris Leben vs. Mark Munoz Set For UFC 138

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chris Leben vs. Mark Munoz Set For UFC 138
Next Page »
POLL: Who takes it?
Chris Leben 40% (14)
Mark Munoz 60% (21)
FastKnockout
7/19/11 1:18:40PM
Although earlier reports suggested that the UFC would not be holding an event in the U.K. this year, it now appears that British fans will indeed see the Octagon arrive on their shores this fall. Gareth Davies at the Telegraph has confirmed with UFC U.K. president, Marshall Zelaznik, that UFC 138 will be held at the LG Arena in Birmingham, England on November 5th. The UFC's November 19th event in San Jose will now apparently be re-numbered as UFC 139:

Marshall Zelaznik, UFC UK vice-president, told The Telegraph yesterday: "I’m very happy to announce UFC 138 will be bringing fireworks to Birmingham on November 5. The last time the UFC was in the second city was UFC 89 in October 2008, and we are very happy to be going back there this bonfire night."

LINK
FastKnockout
7/19/11 1:29:23PM
This is a hard choice. I can see Munoz managing the upset, but I don't like picking against Leben. He's always been the wild card. Never what will happen with him. He should have the takedown defense to defend most of Munoz's shots, and if it comes down to a brawl, Leben shouldn't have an issue once he's hit once or twice.

For now I'll go with Leben by TKO.
Poor_Franklin
7/19/11 1:35:53PM
when Munoz wins, I will not be considering it an upset
emfleek
7/19/11 1:37:58PM
I want Leben to win but I think Munoz is going to win a UD.
Chael_Sonnen
7/19/11 1:59:30PM
Leben by late 3rd round TKO
emfleek
7/19/11 2:10:33PM
By the way...this will be the first 5-round NON-TITLE main event in UFC history.
Twenty20Dollars
7/19/11 2:11:45PM
I do think Munoz can get caught, but don't know who I'd pick.

Wonder where this puts the winner, possibly title shot.
Poor_Franklin
7/19/11 2:13:31PM

Posted by emfleek

By the way...this will be the first 5-round NON-TITLE main event in UFC history.

there goes a bunch of those UD picks
Theoutlaw08
7/19/11 2:14:11PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Leben by late 3rd round TKO

I agree, Leben by late round TKO......he will be a zombie again when he does this...
KungFuMaster
7/19/11 3:14:17PM
I think Munoz can grind out a decision win against Leben. Leben is as tough as nails but his punches are slow and that will allow Munoz to go for take downs more frequently. Munoz UD.
prozacnation1978
7/19/11 3:18:08PM
I am excited
Cause finally a free spike pay per view
And 5 fights instead of 4 on versus.
And I can buy the whole card on dvd when it comes out.
I don't mind the main event. I think it will be a good fight
prophecy033
7/19/11 3:22:04PM

Posted by emfleek

I don't see this going 5
Budgellism
7/19/11 3:36:46PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

This. How is this an upset by any means? Munoz in my opinion is the way better fighter and he's coming off a win over a better opponent.
Theoutlaw08
7/19/11 4:41:51PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Poor_Franklin

This. How is this an upset by any means? Munoz in my opinion is the way better fighter and he's coming off a win over a better opponent.

I agree.....I think this is as even as it gets. Their strengths kind of cancel out because they are both decently rounded fighters. In the end tho i do think Leben pulls it off because of his ridiculous chin. Even with the loss to Stann I think Leben is due to a run at the title....hes going to put a good string of fights together.
Bubbles
7/19/11 4:42:20PM
i think Munoz wins this via TDs and his GNP might be enough to stop Leben. if its a slugfest on the feet, i give the edge to Leben, but both of these guys have bricks as fists

edit: meant Leben on the feet, not Munoz
kingsmasher
7/19/11 4:52:47PM
LMAO Leben cant wrestle cmon man this fight is a joke...
Theoutlaw08
7/19/11 5:21:04PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Please explain how this fight is a joke?......can't wait for this.
kingsmasher
7/19/11 9:19:43PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Posted by kingsmasher

Please explain how this fight is a joke?......can't wait for this.

Why cause Leben cant wrestle...at all...His last fights have been taylor made for him..I picked him over Silva but cause I knew Silva would stand and trade....Munoz was in no trouble against Maia on the ground and I think Maia would sub Leben with ease...

Leben is tough but he just isnt technical, or smart...Hes all chin....but if Munoz wants to be a standing fighter I hope he pays and pays dearly style wise and talent wise this should be -300 for Munoz on betting sites...
summersmmafan
7/19/11 9:39:17PM
munoz got hurt and almost dropped by maia in his last fight and maia`s dont have anywhere near the power leben has. leben hits him with a big punch its all over fou munoz. the only chance i see munoz having is top control ground and pound to a decision. but i think it will be leben by 2nd round tko (ko)
KungFuMaster
7/20/11 1:25:16AM
Munoz has been gun-shy about his take downs recently. He did it against Okami and he did it against Maia. I don't know what is wrong with him. If he sticks to his bread and butter which is wrestling, it will win him many more fights.

icantthinkofanything
7/20/11 12:35:23PM
good fight, i think Munoz has improved his striking since the Okami fight, with submissions, Munoz could be a threat, (Maia outstruck Munoz, but Mai has improved also) My only thing about Munoz is he needs to beat a top guy this time if he wants a title shot, maybe an okami rematch or Stann/Chael winner /loserm if he can beat Leben, which I am convinced he can
tn_rebel
7/20/11 1:44:22PM
Leben will leave Munoz chewing on his own knee just like Hamill did.
Cooler
7/20/11 9:52:57PM
This reminds me of Leben vs Simpson except Munoz doesnt really have a chin.

Leben, 2nd Round KO.... or Munoz by Decision if it goes past that.
emfleek
7/20/11 9:54:45PM

Posted by Cooler

By Playground standards, you're correct. He's been KO'd once in his career so his chin has mysteriously disappeared.

FlashyG
7/20/11 9:58:36PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

I am excited

How can something be free and pay per view?
emfleek
7/20/11 10:02:12PM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by prozacnation1978

I am excited

How can something be free and pay per view?

Strippers. Free to watch but you must pay if you really want to view.
Cooler
7/20/11 10:08:28PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Cooler

By Playground standards, you're correct. He's been KO'd once in his career so his chin has mysteriously disappeared.

Mark's striking used to be bad, his striking defense was poor now its fair.
Just a few examples of getting rocked.

Rocked by Maia a few times
Rocked by Kendall a few times
Rocked by Catone
I also believe he was rocked by Okami

I mean you'd really say he has a good chin? decent? sure?

If thats Leben hitting Munoz like Maia did I think Munoz gets rocked at the least.
emfleek
7/20/11 10:52:23PM

Posted by Cooler

Mark's striking used to be bad, his striking defense was poor now its fair.
Just a few examples of getting rocked.

Rocked by Maia a few times
Rocked by Kendall a few times
Rocked by Catone
I also believe he was rocked by Okami

I mean you'd really say he has a good chin? decent? sure?

If thats Leben hitting Munoz like Maia did I think Munoz gets rocked at the least.

Our definitions of a weak chin definitely differ. Getting rocked shouldn't mean your chin is weak. If anything, getting rocked and not going out should mean the exact opposite. That's how I see it, anyways.

Maia, Catone and Grove may not be the best strikers in the world but they're still grown, fit men that hit hard. If you want to question his defense, I'm cool with that. But to say his chin is weak because he was rocked isn't fair, imo. That's like saying he has no heart because he's been caught in numerous chokes but never lost by submission.
Cooler
7/20/11 11:58:21PM

Posted by emfleek

Our definitions of a weak chin definitely differ. Getting rocked shouldn't mean your chin is weak. If anything, getting rocked and not going out should mean the exact opposite. That's how I see it, anyways.

Maia, Catone and Grove may not be the best strikers in the world but they're still grown, fit men that hit hard. If you want to question his defense, I'm cool with that. But to say his chin is weak because he was rocked isn't fair, imo. That's like saying he has no heart because he's been caught in numerous chokes but never lost by submission.

While I never said his chin was weak, i dont think its very good either, there are a few things that i feel like mark has to make up for it though, his heart, recovery and resiliance from getting hurt but i do think if he gets hit too much he could be ko'd again by another big hitter
emfleek
7/21/11 11:35:41AM

Posted by Cooler

Munoz doesnt really have a chin.

I interpreted that as you saying he has a weak chin. My bad.
Pages: [1] 2