Charlie Davies left of U.S. World Cup Roster

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Charlie Davies left of U.S. World Cup Roster
BlueSkiesBurn
5/11/10 6:33:18PM
NEW YORK -- Charlie Davies, the forward who was convinced he could recover from a shattering car crash in time for the World Cup, fell short of making the 30-man preliminary U.S. roster for the tournament.

LINK

Despite recovering quicker than anyone thought he would, Davies was not given clearance by Sochaux to report to the U.S. team and was ultimately left off the roster. The U.S. has announced 30 names to their World Cup roster but must cut to 23 before June 1st. They have three exhibition games before their World Cup opener against Czech Republic, Turkey, and Australia. Their World Cup opener is against England on June 12th.

Here is the 30 man roster which must be narrowed to 23 by June 1st.

The roster:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa, England), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton, England), Tim Howard (Everton, England).

Defenders: Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes, France), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover, Germany), Jay DeMerit (Watford, England), Clarence Goodson (IK Start, Norway), Chad Marshall (Columbus), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan, Italy), Heath Pearce (Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham, England).

Midfielders: DaMarcus Beasley (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Alejandro Bedoya (Orebro, Sweden), Michael Bradley (Borussia Moenchengladbach, Germany), Ricardo Clark (Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany), Clint Dempsey (Fulham, England), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles), Maurice Edu (Glasgow Rangers, Scotland), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus, Denmark), Stuart Holden (Bolton, England), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Robbie Rogers (Columbus), Jose Torres (Pachuca, Mexico).

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Hull, England), Edson Buddle (Los Angeles), Brian Ching (Houston), Robbie Findley (Salt Lake), Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico), Eddie Johnson (Aris, Greece).

zxandu
5/11/10 6:37:04PM

Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico)

Hercules! Hercules!
postman
5/11/10 7:33:23PM

Posted by zxandu

Herculez Gomez (Puebla, Mexico)

Hercules! Hercules!

That is Ulysses Gomez the Tachi Palace Fights Flyweight champ's Brother.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/11/10 7:38:24PM
What's even funnier about that is Tachi Palace is roughly 45 minutes from here in the smallest, sh*ttiest town you could possibly imagine. A number of my friends fight regularly on their cards. Brian Cobb, who got absolutely destroyed by Terry Etim at Sanchez vs. Stevenson, used to be my regular bartender and dated my coworker. I find it crazier and crazier how many things keep connecting back to Kern/Fresno county.
postman
5/11/10 10:41:51PM
You know Jeff Sherwood lives in Lemoore.
BlueSkiesBurn
5/11/10 10:54:47PM
As did Steve Perry from Journey. Crazy, I think I did know that about Jeff Sherwood. I might not have, though.
DCRage
5/12/10 6:54:23AM
This is a US soccer team? I count only 7 guys currently even playing in the US!