No Champion Versus Champion Fights Please

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » No Champion Versus Champion Fights Please
hails
6/8/08 11:24:32PM
I am really over all this talk of champion v champion.

BJ v GSP

GSP v Silva

Silva v Rampage

I think guys needs to dominate their weight class and just focus on that.

But I think the real question is 'Why don't the UFC sign fighters that can challenge their current champions?'

What other sport do we say, oh lets move divisions/class/competition because we are too good in our choose field?

Dana please sign some guys to challege Silva, GSP and BJ, don't allow these super fights to happen.

How bad would it be that belts are locked up because we have a champion in 2 or even 3 weight classes!!!

What are your thoughts?
pv3Hpv3p
6/8/08 11:32:49PM
I would love seeing the superfights themselves, but would hate what having 1 guy hold two belts would do to the divisions... Way too much time between title fights
jimmypockets
6/8/08 11:48:03PM
Yeah it is silly when there are so many good matchups in most of the divisions that we haven't got to see. I have heard them talk about Anderson Silva fighting everyone in the world except Yushin Okami (who is next in line). It goes the same with BJ Penn. He wins the LW title and immediately calls out GSP. That is ridiculous. I think BJ Penn needs to defend his belt at least a couple times before he starts challenging outside the weight class. I am all for the superfights in a tourney setting though. The Pride tournaments were legendary in my opinion
aaa9erh8er
6/9/08 12:16:04AM

Posted by hails

I am really over all this talk of champion v champion.

BJ v GSP

GSP v Silva

Silva v Rampage

I think guys needs to dominate their weight class and just focus on that.

But I think the real question is 'Why don't the UFC sign fighters that can challenge their current champions?'

What other sport do we say, oh lets move divisions/class/competition because we are too good in our choose field?

Dana please sign some guys to challege Silva, GSP and BJ, don't allow these super fights to happen.

How bad would it be that belts are locked up because we have a champion in 2 or even 3 weight classes!!!

What are your thoughts?

i agree 100 percent id cnange nothing. id add this title fights between orgs in the same div are always good
Franklinfan47
6/9/08 8:06:48AM
I agree as well. All this talk about super fights and what not, I don't think it should even be considered until a champion literally has no contenders left to fight. And lets consider:

Nog---> Mir, Werdum, Vera, GG

Rampage---> Machida, Wandy, Jardine, Thiago Silva, Rashad Evans

Silva---> Okami, Almeida, Bisping, Cote

GSP--->Fitch, Thiago Alves, Swick, Diego

Penn---> Florian, Huerta, Griffin, Aurelio

And thats not even counting any new talent the ufc could possibly aquire in the near future.
mrsmiley
6/9/08 9:56:56AM
I agree with everything all you guys have said.I think their's competition in every weight class to be honest,but they just aren't marketing the right guys to step up.
nickcuc547
6/9/08 12:28:10PM
i disagree, i think all of these matchups would be great. i don't know how you can say that you don't want to see these fights because they are between some of the top five pound for pound fighters in the world. i see the point about the belts but it's worth it to me.
Franklinfan47
6/9/08 2:15:47PM

Posted by nickcuc547

i disagree, i think all of these matchups would be great. i don't know how you can say that you don't want to see these fights because they are between some of the top five pound for pound fighters in the world. i see the point about the belts but it's worth it to me.

Its definately a toss up. Although I would appreciate the sweet match ups between the pfp best fighters, I would be alot more enthusiastic if it wasn't between title holders, because as stated before, it delays the divisions and we get less title fights (which everyone is always complaining, there isn't enough of). I would rather see intriguing match-ups within the individual divisions.
tberg420
6/9/08 2:34:46PM
I think that the Champion vs Champion match up leads to long layoffs for other fighters who deserve title fights. This would also lead to one division looking weaker than others. I'm really hoping that they don't do this but I can imagine the millions that the UFC would make off of it.
bigbubbano23
6/9/08 3:33:25PM
no good for anyone.
GrizzlyChadams
6/9/08 3:58:58PM
I think the GSP VS BJ fight is rediculious. Just due to the fact that if BJ won he would be holding two belts and it would be such a long wait between title fights. People are already complaining about title fights not on cards.
PITBULL2
6/9/08 4:51:39PM
I think this topic brings up the divide between original UFC, and today's UFC. Which do you want to see, the best fighter (regardless of weight class) in the world? or each division's best fighter? And don't give me the BS that a 180lb fighter wouldn't stand a chance vs. some heavyweight giant, do some research on a man named Joyce Gracie. However, then we would start talking the difference between no rounds and rounds, having virtually no rules, and all the other elements that made up the UFC when it first started.

So keep it out how it is. The UFC today is completely different than what is used to be and will never go back.
tylerlee123
6/9/08 5:04:58PM
I belive that once there is virtually no one left in the weight class, and when all fights would be pointless rematches it is time to go up or down in the weightclasses
JimiMak
6/9/08 6:49:40PM
there is always comp vying for title shots.

All of these "dream" matches are stupid. If a guy wants to fight in another div, that's one thing, holding up titles for matches doesn't make sense. Esp cuz usually the dream fights don't turn out to be the best fights. If, for instance, Andersen were to ko Georges in a minute and break his hand. Everyone would be disappointed and it would have major long term adverse effects. Just an example.

tberg420
6/9/08 6:50:16PM

Posted by PITBULL2

I think this topic brings up the divide between original UFC, and today's UFC. Which do you want to see, the best fighter (regardless of weight class) in the world? or each division's best fighter? And don't give me the BS that a 180lb fighter wouldn't stand a chance vs. some heavyweight giant, do some research on a man named Joyce Gracie. However, then we would start talking the difference between no rounds and rounds, having virtually no rules, and all the other elements that made up the UFC when it first started.

So keep it out how it is. The UFC today is completely different than what is used to be and will never go back.

Also, do some research on how to spell...Ever heard of Royce Gracie? Man, that Joyce Gracie was probably kicking some ass as well.
prozacnation1978
6/9/08 7:04:19PM
i don't like the idea either of champ vs champ

there will always be contenders in each class making a run

we don't need this unless it's a super fight with no belt on the line or something