Chael Sonnen denies Munoz fight next, eyes Bisping vs. Miller winner

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chael Sonnen denies Munoz fight next, eyes Bisping vs. Miller winner
emfleek
12/1/11 1:35:36PM
Chael Sonnen wants to fight Anderson Silva like Wanderlei Silva loves kneeing fighters in the face.

But instead, it has been widely reported that Chael's next fight is vs. Mark Munoz at UFC on FOX 2, Jan. 28 in Chicago.

However, in an interview with FightHubTv, Sonnen flatly denied that that is his next fight. "I have no fight with Mark Munoz," said Sonnen. "My next fight will be based on, I don't know how much I can say, but I'll be watching the TV Saturday night, put it that way."

The implication of course is that Sonnen will be facing the winner of the main event between Michael Bisping and Jason Miller at The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) 14 Finale on Dec. 3 in Las Vegas.

LINK
mattjonesy
12/1/11 1:51:57PM
Is there any point of him facing Miller or Bisping? I think he easily beats both!
emfleek
12/1/11 2:16:31PM

Posted by mattjonesy

Is there any point of him facing Miller or Bisping? I think he easily beats both!

Nope. But the smack talk for Sonnen/Bisping would be epic.
MaxOne
12/1/11 2:31:44PM
wow, i missed something. I thought it was confirmed that he was fighting Anderson. did i dream that or did that fall through for some reason?
emfleek
12/1/11 2:36:23PM

Posted by MaxOne

wow, i missed something. I thought it was confirmed that he was fighting Anderson. did i dream that or did that fall through for some reason?

Anderson is likely out until mid-2012 with an injury. Chael said he isn't going to wait around and that he'll fight between now and then.
Twenty20Dollars
12/1/11 2:36:30PM
Interesting.

I do think Munoz/Sonnen is a better fight, but I do remember seeing a new main event for the event Munoz/Sonnen were suppose to fight on.

Davis vs Evans was the main event they announced.

Maybe Munoz wouldn't be ready physically or something. Seems odd that UFC wouldn't put that together
MaxOne
12/1/11 3:14:06PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by MaxOne

Anderson is likely out until mid-2012 with an injury. Chael said he isn't going to wait around and that he'll fight between now and then.

i remember reading that now. apparently i didn't want it to be true. I remember the munoz thing too but i just assumed it was a rumor...In theory Munoz should give Chael some problems if they were to fight but Munoz's wrestling in mma hasn't lived up to what i was expecting from him. Chael's stand up looks much more technical than Mark's but i'm sure Mark hits harder so who knows. That could be a bisping hendo thing if Chael's not careful. I doubt they will fight though. The UFC needs contenders to build up for future fights with Silva (or Chael)
kingsmasher
12/1/11 3:37:07PM
Makes sense...Why fight Sonnen and Munoz? They are bothe contenders and teh only real threat to Silva right now because of wrestling...I actually think Munoz would take Silva definitely...His GNP is fierce...Sonnen needs to show a little more GNP for me...
airkerma
12/1/11 3:57:32PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Makes sense...Why fight Sonnen and Munoz? They are bothe contenders and teh only real threat to Silva right now because of wrestling...I actually think Munoz would take Silva definitely...His GNP is fierce...Sonnen needs to show a little more GNP for me...

Munoz take Silva? Is this the same Munoz who got dropped by Demian Maia? Also, is this the same Silva that Okami couldn't even successfully clinch with? Just so we're clear about which fighters you're mentioning.
Further "Why fight sonnen and munoz they are both contenders" I think pretty much clarifies why they should fight, they are both contenders, the top contenders at that. This would be for #1 contender spot. I don't see why Sonnen would fight Bizzzzzz or Miller, neither are in the title picture currently and this is a limited division, unlike WW where there are about 2 years worth of possible title contenders readily available. I don't really follow your logic or Sonnen fighting anyone who isn't Silva/knocking on the #1 contenders positions door. Too each their own I suppose
bjj1605
12/1/11 4:41:53PM

Posted by kingsmasher

I disagree with your first statement and agree with your second statement.

Munoz and Sonnen should fight because that's the only way we'll have a true number one contender. Giving Sonnen Bisping or Miller is basically just protecting him because Munoz would be the tougher fight. I get the business side of it, but I don't think the UFC should turn into boxing. No need to protect the fighters. Let the best fight the best.

Munoz would do great against Chael, I might even pick him for the upset win.

I agree though that Munoz is a great challenger for Anderson. I think he's a more dangerous challenge than Chael is. Both have the potential to take him down. The difference is, once Chael takes Anderson down he can't do anything. He has no weapons. Munoz has better sub defense (see both fighters fights with Maia) and Munoz's ground and pound is WAY WAY WAY better than Chaels. Chael's ground and pound is like a minor annoyance. Munoz's ground and pound will cave in your face.

I've been saying Munoz would be a great challenge for Anderson since he dropped to MW.

from May 2010

Posted by bjj1605
How about Akiyama, or Wanderlie Silva, or Alan Belcher, or Marquardt? I don't buy the whole "cleaned out the division thing. There are challengers out there, they just need to be given time to build a credible resume for a title shot. Have those guys fight it out and I'm sure a title challenger will emerge. Munoz is another guy on the rise. I think anybody he gets on top of is in a hell of a lot of trouble.

Same month. Thread is about who can challenge anderson.

posted by bjj1605

Munoz is dangerous for a similar reason. He is a big middle weight, strong, and a very good wrestler. And as he has shown, his ground and pound is second to none in the MW division. Once he's on top of you and his arms are free, he's going to pound you out and I'm not sure anyone would be able to stop it. Including anderson.

Again I'm putting these guys forward as potential contenders. If they fought tomorrow most likely I'm picking Anderson over any of them. But fighter skills are maliable as are our opinions of them. Its possible that any of these guys could improve enough to beat anderson or show us through an impressive victory that they already posses the skills.

And just so everyone knows, Anderson is my favorite fighter and I'm probably one of his biggest fans/nuthuggers on this forum.
Bubbles
12/1/11 4:44:00PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by kingsmasher

Munoz take Silva? Is this the same Munoz who got dropped by Demian Maia? Also, is this the same Silva that Okami couldn't even successfully clinch with? Just so we're clear about which fighters you're mentioning.
Further "Why fight sonnen and munoz they are both contenders" I think pretty much clarifies why they should fight, they are both contenders, the top contenders at that. This would be for #1 contender spot. I don't see why Sonnen would fight Bizzzzzz or Miller, neither are in the title picture currently and this is a limited division, unlike WW where there are about 2 years worth of possible title contenders readily available. I don't really follow your logic or Sonnen fighting anyone who isn't Silva/knocking on the #1 contenders positions door. Too each their own I suppose

well if they fight each other, who else is there at MW to fight Silva? Silva most likely will not fight at 205 any time soon
Bubbles
12/1/11 4:47:37PM

Posted by bjj1605

Munoz has better sub defense (see both fighters fights with Maia)

while this is most likely true, Munoz avoided taking Maia down almost the entire fight. and the brief times he did, he was cautious in his gnp
Chael_Sonnen
12/1/11 5:02:36PM
Doesn't matter who Chael fights before Andy.....they're all tune-up fights to say the least.
prozacnation1978
12/1/11 5:54:41PM
Don't be suprised at all if ufc decided to pull the fight.
And have sonnen vs silva as tuf brazil vs usa coaches
Since rumor is brazil event will be in june for them to fight
And silva is out but he can still coach just not fight till june
Manak
12/1/11 6:01:15PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by kingsmasher

I disagree with your first statement and agree with your second statement.

Munoz and Sonnen should fight because that's the only way we'll have a true number one contender. Giving Sonnen Bisping or Miller is basically just protecting him because Munoz would be the tougher fight. I get the business side of it, but I don't think the UFC should turn into boxing. No need to protect the fighters. Let the best fight the best.

Munoz would do great against Chael, I might even pick him for the upset win.

I agree though that Munoz is a great challenger for Anderson. I think he's a more dangerous challenge than Chael is. Both have the potential to take him down. The difference is, once Chael takes Anderson down he can't do anything. He has no weapons. Munoz has better sub defense (see both fighters fights with Maia) and Munoz's ground and pound is WAY WAY WAY better than Chaels. Chael's ground and pound is like a minor annoyance. Munoz's ground and pound will cave in your face.

Munoz is nasty when on top.. he goes to finish. still dont see why it is not chael va munoz. that fight makes prefect sense. chael vs the obvious reason and munoz is on a good streak so why not make them fight each other while anderson get healthy...

hope Miller can change that with whooping bisping.. I think the ufc wants chael/bisping for all the trash talk n hype. i am assuming the ufc would change their mind if miller wins and make chael/munoz happen
ncordless
12/1/11 7:08:39PM
Munoz is kind of a tricky style match for Sonnen. If the goal is to get to that big Chael/Anderson rematch, making him go through Munoz to get there presents a lot more risks than making him go through the winner of Bisping/Miller.
bjj1605
12/1/11 9:45:11PM

Posted by ncordless

Munoz is kind of a tricky style match for Sonnen. If the goal is to get to that big Chael/Anderson rematch, making him go through Munoz to get there presents a lot more risks than making him go through the winner of Bisping/Miller.

aka, they are protecting Chael.

Which is BS.
Adrenaline
12/1/11 9:49:31PM
The thought of Sonnen/Bisping makes me giddy. If Rivera could get under Bisping's skin to the extent he did, then Sonnen would probably destroy him on multiple emotional and psychological levels. I would love for the fight to happen but the UFC learned its lesson after Hendo/Bisping and seem content giving Bisping safer fights instead of throwing him in with top five guys. I don't really hate "the count" or anything but it is not a good matchup for him and Sonnon/Munoz would be a more competitive fight. If I had my way though I would rather just wait for Sonnen/Silva II. Forget rankings, contenders, whatever, it would just be a huge, huge, huge fight for MMA.
KungFuMaster
12/1/11 11:20:18PM
I don't like the idea of Sonnen vs Munoz simply because I would like to see both of them get their title shot(s).

If Sonnen vs Munoz does not happen now, it will eventually and I don't think it will be competitive at all. I can see a fairly easy UD victory for Sonnen.
Chael_Sonnen
12/2/11 12:04:36AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

aka, they are protecting Andy.

Which is BS.

** FIXED **
Adrenaline
12/2/11 1:38:36AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

Which is BS.

Really? Personally I don't think they are nor do they need to protect Chael from anyone at this point. If you are saying that they are protecting a future investment (i.e. a huge PPV buys for Sonnen/Silva II) then I would buy it but if you are implying that they need to give Chael and easy road back to the title in order for him to get it then I think you are wrong. Munoz is a challenge for anyone and could very well win but I imagine that Chael would be the favorite and for good reason. Aside from a guy like Maia who is too far down the rankings right now, I don't see anyone keeping Chael from the rematch. It is MMA though and crazy shit happens so I guess we can't really know for sure.

Geoffo
12/2/11 2:42:06AM
Oh god, come on Chael can take them both on at the same time in the cage.
bjj1605
12/3/11 2:39:05AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by ncordless

Which is BS.

Really? Personally I don't think they are nor do they need to protect Chael from anyone at this point. If you are saying that they are protecting a future investment (i.e. a huge PPV buys for Sonnen/Silva II) then I would buy it but if you are implying that they need to give Chael and easy road back to the title in order for him to get it then I think you are wrong. Munoz is a challenge for anyone and could very well win but I imagine that Chael would be the favorite and for good reason. Aside from a guy like Maia who is too far down the rankings right now, I don't see anyone keeping Chael from the rematch. It is MMA though and crazy shit happens so I guess we can't really know for sure.

Thats hype speaking. Feel free to disagree, but here's how I see it:

Chael is a better than average but far from great fighter. He's a good wrestler, but his striking is not any where near up to snuff and his submission game is borderline terrible (his submission win over brawler Brian Stann not withstanding.)

He put up the fight of his life against Anderson. I'm not going to try and take that away from him by blaming it on his PED use. But still, that fight was the result of a particular set of circumstances.

If you look at the totality of their careers, there is no reason to think that Anderson isn't going to ABSOLUTELY CRUSH him in their next fight. There are also plenty of guys that could keep him from getting the shot in the first place. Munoz is definitely one of those. Maia (who you mentioned) is another. Pretty much anyone who's really good on the ground. Jacare, Maia, Mayhem, Palhares...they'd all give Chael fits. Especially in a five round fight (which will be not just title fights any more) Chale's poor sub defense is going to lose a lot of fights for him.

I think the UFC is hyping this fight for paper view buys. People remember their last fight as the one that showed that "Anderson is human." Chael is also a really good talker.

Again, I'm sure plenty of you will disagree. I am hoping that I'll be proven right. I haven't exactly been quite about this opinion and I'd hate to eat crow
UFC_Fanatic
12/3/11 5:44:37AM

Thats hype speaking. Feel free to disagree, but here's how I see it:

Chael is a better than average but far from great fighter. He's a good wrestler, but his striking is not any where near up to snuff and his submission game is borderline terrible (his submission win over brawler Brian Stann not withstanding.)

He put up the fight of his life against Anderson. I'm not going to try and take that away from him by blaming it on his PED use. But still, that fight was the result of a particular set of circumstances.

If you look at the totality of their careers, there is no reason to think that Anderson isn't going to ABSOLUTELY CRUSH him in their next fight. There are also plenty of guys that could keep him from getting the shot in the first place. Munoz is definitely one of those. Maia (who you mentioned) is another. Pretty much anyone who's really good on the ground. Jacare, Maia, Mayhem, Palhares...they'd all give Chael fits. Especially in a five round fight (which will be not just title fights any more) Chale's poor sub defense is going to lose a lot of fights for him.

I think the UFC is hyping this fight for paper view buys. People remember their last fight as the one that showed that "Anderson is human." Chael is also a really good talker.

Again, I'm sure plenty of you will disagree. I am hoping that I'll be proven right. I haven't exactly been quite about this opinion and I'd hate to eat crow

I agree with you 100%. Couldn't have said it any better myself.