Chael Sonnen Not Attending UFC 134, Lynch Mob Has to Wait

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Chael Sonnen Not Attending UFC 134, Lynch Mob Has to Wait
Next Page »
FastKnockout
8/21/11 9:13:08PM
Yesterday I posted about a Facebook event calling for the "Lynching of Chael Sonnen" in Rio. While the event was made as a joke by the creators, it is very much possible that some of those "attending" were looking forward to causing bodily harm to the outspoken middleweight. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view, they won't be getting the chance.

LINK
FastKnockout
8/21/11 9:14:15PM
Figures he was just trolling. No one is that dumb.
Budgellism
8/21/11 9:14:29PM
Probably a good idea.
scoozna
8/21/11 9:25:20PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Figures he was just trolling. No one is that dumb.

Watch him get all indignant about the lynch mob.
prophecy033
8/21/11 9:59:29PM
Chael FINALLY did something smart, although it would have been fun to see how they "welcomed" him
Twenty20Dollars
8/21/11 10:20:39PM
Patchedup15
8/21/11 10:29:40PM
good.. i was actually worried about him going there
Chael_Sonnen
8/21/11 10:43:27PM
The Lynch Mob got off easy by Chael.
prophecy033
8/21/11 11:22:51PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

the funniest thing about this statement is you actually believe it
Adrenaline
8/21/11 11:39:52PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

The funniest thing about this statement is that you actually believe that he believes it.
KungFuMaster
8/21/11 11:55:12PM
I have a feeling it has much to do with the Japanese management of Okami. From the article, it sounds like Okami's trainers and management do not want Sonnen in the corner which may fuel any unwanted atmosphere which may affect Okami's performance.

Japanese mma has always lacked solid game plans and Japanese corners seldom offer any real strategy for winning a fight. I must say I am not as confident anymore - knowing Sonnen is not there to help orchestrate Okami's fight.

I hope the information in this article is only based on speculations and rumor.

BelXavier420
8/21/11 11:55:24PM

Posted by Adrenaline

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

The funniest thing about this statement is that you actually believe that he believes it.

No, the funniest thing is the statment about the statement that he actually believes the statement that "The Lynch Mob got off easy by Chael.".
TheBlackChip
8/22/11 12:26:00AM

Posted by Patchedup15

good.. i was actually worried about him going there

Me too. Funny to say, but as I was once told in a trip to Rio, "this aint Vegas homeboy".
KungFuMaster
8/22/11 12:58:25AM
In all seriousness, I would not go to Brazil if I was Sonnen. The laws there are different. The culture there is different. Fighting is a huge part of the Brazilian culture from what I hear. Sonnen is bound to have scuffles and possibly encounter life threatening situations in Brazil.
prozacnation1978
8/22/11 8:09:01AM
I could have seen it. Chael getting right off the plane and the police grabbing Him and droping him off in a dark alley somewhere
The last we saw of chael!!
cowcatcher
8/22/11 9:54:57AM
Okami doesn't need the distraction going into the biggest fight of his career, so I would have been shocked HAD Chael gone. This isn't surprising in the least.
KungFuMaster
8/22/11 11:42:53AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Okami doesn't need the distraction going into the biggest fight of his career, so I would have been shocked HAD Chael gone. This isn't surprising in the least.

I agree Sonnen would bring much distraction into this fight but on the other hand, I think his presence in Okami's corner would help tremendously. I have very little faith in Japanese trainers and corner-men. They usually do not have a game plan and in between rounds, they offer little to help turn the fight around.

I do not think this was Sonnen's choice. He has much respect for Okami and surely he would want to be there when Okami's hand is raised.
StriderXero
8/22/11 12:05:50PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by cowcatcher

I agree Sonnen would bring much distraction into this fight but on the other hand, I think his presence in Okami's corner would help tremendously. I have very little faith in Japanese trainers and corner-men. They usually do not have a game plan and in between rounds, they offer little to help turn the fight around.

I do not think this was Sonnen's choice. He has much respect for Okami and surely he would want to be there when Okami's hand is raised.

Well Okami has a pretty good record in the UFC. I'm not sure what his corner men are doing wrong. I dont think he really needs Chael. The gameplan should be obvious. Do no stand and trade with Anderson. Keep it on the ground as long as possible. I think Okami has all the tools to beat Anderson. Wrestling, sub defence, endurance, experience. But will he beat him? i doubt it, but i hope it does happen.
Chael_Sonnen
8/22/11 12:16:14PM
Chael has already cemented the gameplan home to Yushin for months now.....no use going over to Brazil and stirring up trouble by beating up a bunch of Lynch Mobbers......plus, it's not like Yushin will be able to understand Chael during the fight, Chael doesn't speak Japanese.

KungFuMaster
8/22/11 12:18:20PM

Posted by StriderXero

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by cowcatcher

Well Okami has a pretty good record in the UFC. I'm not sure what his corner men are doing wrong. I dont think he really needs Chael. The gameplan should be obvious. Do no stand and trade with Anderson. Keep it on the ground as long as possible. I think Okami has all the tools to beat Anderson. Wrestling, sub defence, endurance, experience. But will he beat him? i doubt it, but i hope it does happen.

The game plan is simple but Sonnen could offer subtle adjustments which could make the takedowns more accessible. For instance, throw a big left and immediately go for a take down after. Randy Couture used to always throw a big right hand and follow it up with a clinch. I am sure Okami has practiced all that in training but someone who knows what he is doing needs to be there to remind him of all his arsenals.

I know Okami is very capable of taking Anderson down but how he goes about it is my concern>>>and I think Sonnen would be the perfect man to advise him of such...
KungFuMaster
8/22/11 12:21:12PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Chael has already cemented the gameplan home to Yushin for months now.....no use going over to Brazil and stirring up trouble by beating up a bunch of Lynch Mobbers......plus, it's not like Yushin will be able to understand Chael during the fight, Chael doesn't speak Japanese.

Hand gestures and sign language would be adequate. Jab, jab, hug - see how easy that was?
machodog76
8/22/11 1:36:07PM
I think sonnen just doesn't want to get killed, Brazil is a violent enough place for the average tourist let alone a guy who has worked hard to piss the entire country off.
prophecy033
8/22/11 1:51:06PM
I put the over/under at 2.5 for how many days till he's back to trolling
UFC_Fanatic
8/22/11 5:20:25PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by StriderXero

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by cowcatcher

The game plan is simple but Sonnen could offer subtle adjustments which could make the takedowns more accessible. For instance, throw a big left and immediately go for a take down after. Randy Couture used to always throw a big right hand and follow it up with a clinch. I am sure Okami has practiced all that in training but someone who knows what he is doing needs to be there to remind him of all his arsenals.

I know Okami is very capable of taking Anderson down but how he goes about it is my concern>>>and I think Sonnen would be the perfect man to advise him of such...

I agree with you for the most part here, however, I disagree on going anywhere near a clinch. Sure, Okami is great in the clinch, and he can try some trips and try to muscle Silva down, in my opinion, clinching with Silva is to much of a double edged sword to be worth the risk. See exhibits A and B:
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1 Photo Attachment 2
Jride
8/22/11 6:58:33PM
Chael said for months that he would be attending and cornering Okami.

Funny how this scared him to stay out of Brazil.
Chael_Sonnen
8/22/11 7:03:28PM

Posted by Jride

Scared? Riiight.....where was The Lynch Mob when Chael visited Brazil two weeks earlier? I will tell you, sitting in front of their computers surfing the web.
prophecy033
8/22/11 8:07:43PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Jride

Scared? Riiight.....where was The Lynch Mob when Chael visited Brazil two weeks earlier? I will tell you, sitting in front of their computers surfing the web.

your hilarious, your boy pussed out
Jride
8/22/11 8:40:06PM
Oh wait, it's one of those "IM A FAN OF CHAEL SONNEN" type people just because he trash talked Anderson and you find him funny although you had no idea who he was prior to UFC 117.

Chael_Sonnen
8/22/11 9:52:08PM

Posted by Jride

Oh wait, it's one of those "IM A FAN OF CHAEL SONNEN" type people just because he trash talked Anderson and you find him funny although you had no idea who he was prior to UFC 117.

Oh wait, it's one of those "I don't know what a comma is" person.
Cooler
8/22/11 10:47:06PM
After all his talk in interviews about not being intimidated he cowers away and I dont blame him but he made his bed he should sleep in it. After all the pointless trash talk lately he shows his true colors like he did in the face of Wanderlei. Imo Chael thinks the Japanese organizations shouldnt count because they were more like real fights and the rules favored the more technical fighter. Chael doesnt wanna get kneed with his hands on the ground when he goes for a lackidaisical takedown or kicked in the face when he gets knocked down. What wrestler wouldnt like the nice safe rules favoring the "aggression" and takedowns that exploit the scoring criteria.
Pages: [1] 2