Carwin felt Brock go out a few times

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Carwin felt Brock go out a few times
BigIP
7/4/10 2:53:34PM
"I felt Brock go out a few times," he today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) via text message. "But it is the ref's job to call the fight, and mine is to finish the fight."

Carwin, of course, came oh-so close to doing just that. According to CompuStrike.com, he landed 57 first-round blows, 47 of which were ground shots that came after he dazed Lesnar with an early uppercut. As blood poured from his face and Lesnar struggled to defend and improve his position, Rosenthal nearly halted the fight on more than one occasion.

Link
MaxOne
7/4/10 3:05:04PM
there was once where i was wondering if brock was out.
mrsmiley
7/4/10 3:16:48PM
I wouldn't doubt it.
Their where times it was close I think,but it does nothing to take away from the final outcome.
sclasclemski
7/4/10 3:50:21PM
I generally don't care for Josh Rosenthall but I think that was great officiating...he could tell Brock wasn't completely out since he was moving at least a little...there points where if it had been stopped there prob wouldn't have been much arguement but considering how much weight(no pun intended) was involved in this fight's outcome it was a good job making sure the fighter was unable to defend himself before pulling the trigger...Josh, Herb Dean, and Yamasaki and def the 3 best refs out there right now...Yves Lavigne and Mazzagati are questionable.
icantthinkofanything
7/4/10 3:50:40PM
great fight either way
BigIP
7/4/10 3:51:11PM
I really thought the ref was going to stop the fight. Carwin was landing huge elbows. I thought it was similar to the Stephen Bonnar fight which the ref eventually stopped.
MriIlluminati
7/4/10 4:07:35PM
Rosenthal is hot and cold, he does some dumb things sometimes, but I'm on his side with this. Brock was never "out" he was always defending and covering up looking for a chance to get back in position. Sure he was hurt, but I've never heard people complain about a late stoppage that wasn't an obvious one.

If Brock had gone limp for a second Rosen wouldve stopped it, Brock survived and even got back to his feet showing that the refs decision was a good one.
flyingknee85
7/4/10 4:09:32PM
man i couldnt sit down when carwin was pounding his face in, thot it was all over but damn that dude takes a shot! As joe rogan puts it "having those 4xl lunchboxes slamming into his face" that statement alone practically knocks me out lol. Lesnars chin was questioned, i think the jury is still out on that but he ****** impressed me by making it out of the 1st round in this one

FrankTheTank1181
7/4/10 4:09:42PM
The fight would have been stopped if it wasn't a Championship fight, no doubt. Props to Lesnar though for comin' back and gettin' the win.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/4/10 6:00:22PM
I seriously thought it was over in the first. Start of the second, I realized Carwin had gassed himself. Crazy to think that Brock won this fight without landing one solid punch. Shows his evolution as a fighter.
Aether
7/4/10 6:03:08PM
Honestly I think Carwin has himself to blame. When he got on top of Lesnar all he had to do was calm down a bit and pick his shots, throw fewer punches but land them more accurately and with more force instead of going donkey kong on him when he's covered up and gassing out.

There was no way Lesnar was getting up until he recovered a bit, Carwin could definitely have slowed down and finished the fight with more carefully chosen punches.

Pretty amazing resilience by Brock and pretty damn impressive that he had the confidence to give up mount to go for an arm triangle after such a small amount of time training BJJ.
postman
7/4/10 7:17:26PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I seriously thought it was over in the first. Start of the second, I realized Carwin had gassed himself. Crazy to think that Brock won this fight without landing one solid punch. Shows his evolution as a fighter.

Disagree! It shows Carwins lack of cardio and Piss poor sub defense. He layed on his back and gave up he didn't defend it shows you don't have to get your hand into your elbow pit to finish a arm trianlge if your 2 of the biggest HW. Hes going to get smashed by Cain. I have no problem with Brock hes just not that good. Congrats on the win but....had Carwin picked his shots he would have been the HW Champ.
gartface
7/4/10 7:19:23PM

Posted by Aether
Pretty amazing resilience by Brock and pretty damn impressive that he had the confidence to give up mount to go for an arm triangle after such a small amount of time training BJJ.

I've noticed that a lot of great wrestlers seem to really like the arm-triangle. I thought at first he was going to just use that position to transition to mount, but he really did that smoothly and was impressive.

As for Brock being out completely at all...I'm not sure that's accurate. I mean, Matt Wiman thought Mac Danzig was out right? Props to Rosenthal for not stopping it. If Brock was ever unconscious I don't think he could have pushed Carwin off with as much force as he did. Just my thoughts...

BlueSkiesBurn
7/4/10 7:45:09PM

Posted by postman

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Disagree! It shows Carwins lack of cardio and Piss poor sub defense. He layed on his back and gave up he didn't defend it shows you don't have to get your hand into your elbow pit to finish a arm trianlge if your 2 of the biggest HW. Hes going to get smashed by Cain. I have no problem with Brock hes just not that good. Congrats on the win but....had Carwin picked his shots he would have been the HW Champ.

How do you disagree with me? We're saying the same thing, Bob. Carwin gassed.
sclasclemski
7/4/10 7:46:55PM
I think he was disagreeing with your comment about Brock evolving...though I agree with you..the fact that he went for and succeeded with an arm triangle is clear proof that Brock is growing as a fighter.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/4/10 7:48:27PM
Ah, okay...yeah, I don't know how someone can disagree that Brock is evolving. He won a fight without a significant punch.
postman
7/4/10 7:49:19PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by postman

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

How do you disagree with me? We're saying the same thing, Bob. Carwin gassed.

Sorry I'm drunk I dissagree as far as Brocks Evolution hes not much different then the guy who lost to Mir On the feet awkward,,,,BJJ ground game basic Wrestling.....well don't let him get on top of you.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/4/10 7:50:45PM
Haha, I'm trying to catch up with you, Bob. Happy fourth to you and your family, sir.
postman
7/4/10 7:51:55PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Haha, I'm trying to catch up with you, Bob. Happy fourth to you and your family, sir.

Same to you Homie
finnish_line
7/5/10 8:44:45AM

I would have LOVED a camera on Trevor Wittman's face when the tap came.
MisterFreeze
7/5/10 11:21:42AM
I'm calling Bull-**** on this one.... I think Carwin is just butt hurt that he lost.
RhythmAndStyle
7/5/10 1:03:34PM
bottom line it should have been stopped..the ref gave Brock the Kimbo treatment...
BMF
7/5/10 1:28:43PM
The only "Kimbo" treatment I can think of is the Thompson fight and a little different scenario, Kimbo appeared hurt where Brock did not, and plus its a title fight, let the guys bang until someone taps or is out. Otherwise there is always going to be doubts. Carwin should have done more to finish the fight instead of gassing out.
Jackelope
7/5/10 1:51:48PM

Posted by BMF

The only "Kimbo" treatment I can think of is the Thompson fight and a little different scenario, Kimbo appeared hurt where Brock did not, and plus its a title fight, let the guys bang until someone taps or is out. Otherwise there is always going to be doubts. Carwin should have done more to finish the fight instead of gassing out.

I think the fact that Lesnar came back and won in the 2nd round vindicates Rosenthal's decision, BUT-

Brock didn't appear hurt? That's just got to be a joke. There is no doubt he was hurt. If running away from your opponent, crumbling to the canvas, taking ~40-50 unanswered shots, bleeding out of your noggin, and laying on your back turtled up doesn't constitute hurt then what does?

Again, I'm of the opinion that Rosenthal made the right decision given the fact that Lesnar's triumphant 2nd round vindicated it, but I mean come on.
BMF
7/5/10 2:08:37PM
Thats my opinion from watching the fight, was he hurt yes he was. However I wouldn't say he was in any danger, hadn't Carwin finished fights before in the same posistion, however this time he could not. The fact is people who picked Carwin to win feel the need to justify why the fight should have ended. Carwin should have finished the fight.
Jackelope
7/5/10 3:06:54PM

Posted by BMF

Kimbo appeared hurt where Brock did not

Posted by BMF

Thats my opinion from watching the fight, was he hurt yes he was. However I wouldn't say he was in any danger

submissionartist1
7/5/10 10:26:18PM
i wanna see a rematch down the road