Brock Lesnar training jiu-jitsu with Rodrigo Comprido for UFC 87 Heath Herring fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brock Lesnar training jiu-jitsu with Rodrigo Comprido for UFC 87 Heath Herring fight
MMAcca
6/20/08 10:21:27AM
Quoteworthy:

“It is not enough that Brock Lesnar is a freak of nature with a physique that few can match, and have top trainers around like Greg Nelson (Black Belt under Pedro Sauer) & Marty Morgan (University of Minnesota Wrestling Coach). Noooo, Lesnar is taking his MMA training so seriously that he contracted multiple times BJJ World Absolute Champion Rodrigo “Comprido” to add to his preparation team. Comprido is spending time at the Minnesota Martial Arts Academy, adding his personal touch to Lesnar’s training as he prepares to fight in UFC 87 against Heath Herring. Comprido’s MMA training is in high demand especially coming off a super-successfull participation of his TEAM FLOMMA in the Adrenalin show.”

LINK
Porch28
6/20/08 10:43:07AM
All I know is Herring is in BIG Trouble!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I think this should prove to all the doubters about his commitment to the sport and with every fight he has in the UFC the further from the WWE image he gets. I'll tell you what I think he would destroy Kimbo. Not that anyone brought it up I just thought I'd throw that in there
saemskin
6/20/08 11:03:39AM
I dont think anyone is doubting his heart or his commitment to be a fighter.
I wonder about Brock's ability to be properly conditioned with all that musculature he has. It's going to take tremendous amounts of blood and oxygen to keep him fresh, and this fight has the ability to go the distance if Brock decides to control the fight and can't get a finish, much the same way Kongo couldnt but he was on top most of the fight.

I just think he is just too damn big.
Will be an interesting fight none the less
bojangalz
6/20/08 11:40:24AM
I'm glad to see that Lesnar is training hard, and not just cashing in on his UFC contract. He truely wants to fight the best, and prove he is worthy of the competition. There is no doubt that he is one of the most physically gifted HW's in the UFC (or any other promotion for that matter). But I have one major concern:

Brock is turning 31 years old already this summer. He's simply not battle tested. He has a long, long way to go before he can be considered a MMA veteran. He wants to climb to the top of the UFC's HW division some day soon. But you gotta look at who's sitting there right now. Minotauro is barely a year older then Lesnar and already has 36 professional fights under his belt. If Lesnar needs anywhere near the same pace to reach his goals, he'll practally be collecting social security checks by the time he reaches the belt.

I know that the Lesnar warwagon will fire back with "Well, you know- Randy Couture didn't start fighting until he was 32 years old. And he took down a belt or two in his day." No doubt, but I'm not certain that Randy spent his time during the interim getting smashed through tables, and choke-slammed. I know it's fake, but that shit has to take it's toll. Brock has already got a lot of mileage on that body of his.

Brock has the great wrestling base. And like I said, the guy is an absolute freak of nature. So if anyone is capable of creating a successful career path this way, I'm sure Brock would be that guy. But I just don't see him getting by on his physical attributes alone. I really wish the UFC would just say "Here, take McCully, destroy him. Enjoy the feeling, and get yourself used to the Octogon a little. Show off your wrestling a bit." Then maybe he trains his Jitz a little more and they feed him one more pud so he has a chance to test it all out.

I'm not saying create a hype-machine ala Kimbo and do nothing but feed him loosers. I just think that Mir was a bad first match-up (and I'm not monday moring quarterbacking here I picked Mir R1 Sub) and I think that Herring's experience is probably going to win out this time two. I would have rather seen Lesnar take on a few jokers and get established. I think he's probably going to start out his UFC career 0-2.
Porch28
6/20/08 11:52:57AM
I

I'm not saying create a hype-machine ala Kimbo and do nothing but feed him loosers. I just think that Mir was a bad first match-up (and I'm not monday moring quarterbacking here I picked Mir R1 Sub) and I think that Herring's experience is probably going to win out this time two. I would have rather seen Lesnar take on a few jokers and get established. I think he's probably going to start out his UFC career 0-2.

I actually think Dana gave him Mir to show him what he was getting into and to see if he's for real. I thought it was a brilliant move on Dana's part and it let us fans get a good glimpse of Brocks ability. Also its been many years since Brock was in the WWE. and he's actually toned down the muscles a bit. We will get to see a great fight
NatedawgThaM
6/20/08 11:58:28AM
God, I just can't see Herring winning this fight or having any more then just a punchers chance. Especially Lesnar's training with some top quality ground guys who are going to take all of those nasty rookie habits and mistakes out of his arsenal. And Herring is usually on good when he's using his strength and size advantage which I just don't see happening with such a physically stronger and sickly explosive wrestler like Brock Lesnar.

He better hope he can hang on until about late in the second when Lesnar starts to fade from that sick fast paced GNP he does. But I still think Lesnar will over power him from start to finish and actually STOP Herring in the 2nd with GNP.

Lesnar is the new breed of Heavyweights. He could rule this division.