British Association of Mixed Martial Arts signs top free-agent Nate Marquardt

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » British Association of Mixed Martial Arts signs top free-agent Nate Marquardt
emfleek
7/22/11 10:30:02AM
Nate Marqaurdt (31-10-2) is heading across the Pond.

British Association of Mixed Martial Arts (BAMMA) officials today announced a multi-fight contract with the former UFC contender and King of Pancrase.

"As soon as we received word that the Pennsylvania State Athletic Commission lifted Marquardt's suspension, we jumped at the chance to sign him," BAMMA exec Liam Fisher stated. "He is a top-ranked contender and an asset to any promotion. Words cannot express how excited we are that Marquardt is now fighting under the BAMMA banner."

LINK
RhythmAndStyle
7/22/11 12:45:32PM
dumb move, imho..who fights in BAMMA anyways..up and comers..i think i know only one person that fights outta there (not Nate, lol)..i thought he shoulda went to Bellator to face a tough challenge in Hector..they said they woulda give him a shot rite away..guess he rather fight some bums..it would be funny as hell if he lost his first fight in BAMMA..
kingsmasher
7/22/11 12:51:50PM
I like how NAte said he wanted to fight teh best or something like that...LMAO what a joke...
emfleek
7/22/11 12:55:55PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

dumb move, imho..who fights in BAMMA anyways..up and comers..i think i know only one person that fights outta there (not Nate, lol)..i thought he shoulda went to Bellator to face a tough challenge in Hector..they said they woulda give him a shot rite away..guess he rather fight some bums..it would be funny as hell if he lost his first fight in BAMMA..

Actually, according to a recent interview, Nate wanting a title shot right away is one of the reasons they *wouldn't* sign him to a contract. They were planning to stick to their tournament format with no exceptions.

LINK
cagerage920
7/22/11 12:59:07PM
it seems like a HUGE step down for nate
emfleek
7/22/11 1:01:05PM
Not to speculate/accuse or throw rumors to the wind...but does BAMMA test? For anything? Someone mentioned it on Twitter and I thought it was a valid question...
cowcatcher
7/22/11 1:18:09PM

Posted by emfleek

Not to speculate/accuse or throw rumors to the wind...but does BAMMA test? For anything? Someone mentioned it on Twitter and I thought it was a valid question...

In the article Nate said they do.
emfleek
7/22/11 1:24:38PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by emfleek

In the article Nate said they do.

My bad. The article I had read earlier didn't mention that.
FlashyG
7/22/11 1:33:47PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

I thought Bellator said they weren't interested in Nate. This was really one of the only options he had left.
prophecy033
7/22/11 1:44:31PM
Imo, not the best place to take your talents but with everything being equal, I just wanna see Nate fighting sooner rather then later
FastKnockout
7/22/11 2:52:05PM

Posted by kingsmasher

I like how NAte said he wanted to fight teh best or something like that...LMAO what a joke...

Marquardt did want to fight the best they had. That's why Bellator turned him down, because he wanted an immediate title shot. He didn't want to go through the tournament format.
prozacnation1978
7/22/11 3:54:38PM
Bamma aint that bad
They got kong watson and trigg fighting for the belt
Nate may get a title shot from winner of those two

Nate could face baroni or drop to welter maybe face paul daley
emfleek
7/22/11 3:57:59PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Bamma aint that bad
They got kong watson and trigg fighting for the belt
Nate may get a title shot from winner of those two

Nate could face baroni or drop to welter maybe face paul daley

Nate is going to fight at WW...not Middleweight.
Patchedup15
7/22/11 5:14:46PM
I think he's under the impression he can work his way back up by leaving a string of newbs on the ground behind him.. he should have played ball with bellator and taken a nontitle fight up front. if he has ANY hope of getting back to UFC it's gotta be by making waves all over again.. GET VOCAL NATE
ncordless
7/22/11 5:17:59PM
Huh.

At least it's not YAMMA, I guess.

Maybe they'll give the mythical WAMMA MW belt.
Kpro
7/22/11 5:46:10PM
Leave Nate alone!

cowcatcher
7/22/11 5:55:09PM

Posted by Kpro

Leave Nate alone!

I almost forgot about that young lady...erm...guy
TheBlackChip
7/22/11 7:20:05PM
Well, it was nice knowin ya, Nate.
sbulldavid
7/22/11 10:02:06PM
Nate doesn't want to be caught in the Bellator/UFC beef. Two fights and the UFC will come calling.
Adrenaline
7/23/11 3:14:38AM
Good for Nate, it may not be ideal but it's a start. With the Bellator deal falling through, and Pro-elite not really up and running yet he didn't really have many options. I would think that it's better to go with BAMMA and smash some unknowns than to sit on his thumbs waiting. I will be honest and say that I have not had a chance to read the article yet or if it even says, but is this an exclusive contract? If not Nate can do his thing over there and still take interesting fights as they come to him.
jae_1833
7/23/11 11:48:18AM
I for one think this is a horrible move.....it's a move into obscurity. Regardless of Zuffa trying to swallow up all the competition in the world, Bellator would have had him televised and fighting often against competition that at either weight class he chooses (MW or WW) he would have been considered extremely competitive against. Instead he's fighting for an org that is hosted and named after Britian that not even many Brits watch......tons of places he could have gone IMO.....MFC, TPC, Titan, Legacy......anything on television would have been a better move IMO.
jjeans
7/23/11 12:13:56PM

Posted by jae_1833

I for one think this is a horrible move.....it's a move into obscurity. Regardless of Zuffa trying to swallow up all the competition in the world, Bellator would have had him televised and fighting often against competition that at either weight class he chooses (MW or WW) he would have been considered extremely competitive against. Instead he's fighting for an org that is hosted and named after Britian that not even many Brits watch......tons of places he could have gone IMO.....MFC, TPC, Titan, Legacy......anything on television would have been a better move IMO.

Really?? Me and my friends love BAMMA... That was a quick assumption
Franklinfan47
7/23/11 12:15:03PM
Well he's already snubbed from Zuffa and Bellator.

Its not like there is alot of choices after that. BAMMA is as good as any.
jjeans
7/23/11 12:22:07PM
It does make you question as to the current order the world ranking of top 10 promotion.... Going to make a thread..
jae_1833
7/24/11 2:02:29PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by jae_1833

Really?? Me and my friends love BAMMA... That was a quick assumption

I am American.....we are well known for making quick assumptions....I guess it just comes down to how incredibly little I hear about the organization as oppossed to most of the rest of the world's organizations not owned by Zuffa. I hear the name Bamma once a year tops.....WVR/Dream i hear about every couple of weeks. I think I am just hoping the guy got into an organization that would be televised in the US because if your successful here you can go worldwide pretty easily, from the UK it's a bit more difficult.