Brandon Vera: ‘I just needed more time’ to prepare for Lyoto Machida (Video)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Brandon Vera: ‘I just needed more time’ to prepare for Lyoto Machida (Video)
Wolfenstein
6/26/08 12:18:53PM
“The Truth” accepted fights to take on Wanderlei Silva and Dan Henderson at UFC Fight Night 14 on July 19; however, he and he camp felt he needed more time to prepare for the “nasty” style of the undefeated Machida. He looks forward to a future fight with the “Dragon,” bur for now he’ll take on UFC newcomer Reese Andy at light heavyweight:

http://mmamania.com/2008/06/26/brandon-vera-i-just-needed-more-time-to-prepare-for-lyoto-machida-video/
silverbullet
6/26/08 12:41:40PM
1. Please correct the article link

2. Time in the gym increases fighter's skills. Vera needed more time to increase his skills for the Lyoto Machida fight. Basically, Vera needed more skills. Yes, I agree!
Mackavelli
6/26/08 1:22:06PM
No one wants to fight machida.
kaskd
6/26/08 3:48:06PM
Vera shouldn't fight any of those 3 guys listed. Don't blame him for wanting more time either, i actually respect him for having the balls to admit that he wouldn't be able to beat Machida right now (which is what he means basically).
Throwdown
6/26/08 5:17:21PM
I just wanna see Hendo knock someone out...
missypie
6/26/08 5:31:17PM

Posted by Throwdown

I just wanna see Hendo knock someone out...

I just want to see some amazing bjj from Palhares. Hope this one goes to the ground

Edie: Forgot this thread was about Vera. These guys aren't ducking one another, but just need more time to be ready for risky fights. Hope Brandon isn't underestimating Andy though...it's almost a slap in the face to Reese.
Figsak
6/26/08 5:38:49PM
Only way to prepare for Machida is to jog.

Thats pretty much all you'll be doing the whole fight, chasing the dragon as it were.
whardin19
6/26/08 5:41:23PM
I totally agree with Vera's decision. You do need a full training camp to fight someone like Lyoto. But my beef is, why did he accept fights with Henderson and Wanderlai then? Wouldn't you want a full training camp against those two too? As for him jumping from division to division. I'm not sure thats a great idea. He's a much smaller heavyweight and he's been out powered in his last two fights. So I think he should stay down at 205.
Figsak
6/26/08 5:45:20PM
Because Wanderlei and Henderson are on big slides. He probably saw them as down, so he wanted to kick them.

Machida is a freight train, he has massive momentum, it's a dangerous decision to step in front of it.
89vision
6/26/08 5:50:31PM
Vera would have lost a UD or Sub to Machida even with preparation.
jae_1833
6/26/08 11:24:43PM
Dropping wieght is a good idea.....much better then thinking he'll have both titles at once (LHW and HW)!!!
DevonFoxy
6/27/08 1:03:11AM

Posted by jae_1833

Dropping wieght is a good idea.....much better then thinking he'll have both titles at once (LHW and HW)!!!

Not if when your dropping the weight its too LHW where he will meet the arguably the toughest division in the UFC when he was fighting in arguably the weakest division in the UFC at HW.
MMAcca
6/27/08 1:33:55AM
The only title Vera will ever have in the UFC is being called 'Mr Vera'
Figsak
6/27/08 11:30:40AM
HA!

kaskd
6/28/08 6:04:00PM
sorry gotta spread the love, but hilarious
voodoo-jitsu
6/28/08 7:44:21PM
i hope reese whoops veras ass ........ actually i hope anyone vera fights whoops his ass
thefightexpo
12/19/08 10:19:02PM
Go Brandon