UFC boss says Jake Shields "probably" in line for title shot with UFC 121 win

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC boss says Jake Shields "probably" in line for title shot with UFC 121 win
emfleek
10/12/10 2:21:30PM
While UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre will next put his title on the line in December against fellow "The Ultimate Fighter 12" coach Josh Koscheck, the division's next top contender may be decided as early as next week.

At a press conference today in Montreal promoting December's "UFC 124: St-Pierre vs. Koscheck 2" event, UFC president Dana White said promotional newcomer Jake Shields (25-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) will likely earn himself a title shot with a win in his upcoming octagon debut.

"If Jake Shields should win against Martin Kampmann, it will probably be him next," White said.

LINK
FastKnockout
10/12/10 4:11:15PM
What about Kampmann? I don't like the guy, but if he beats Shields he should be next for the title shot, especially if he does it in impressive fasion. With back to back wins against Paulo Thiago and Shields, I don't see anyone better unless it's going to be another title shot rematch between GSP and Fitch.

As for Shields winning, yeah he deserves the title shot if he beats Kampmann. That will put him on a 15 fight win streak with wins over Kampmann, Henderson, Miller, Lawler, and Daley in his last five fights. He'd be one of GSP's toughest challenges yet.
aristipe
10/12/10 4:17:17PM
If Shields beats Kampmann, he should immediately get a title shot at GSP, for the simple reason that GSP is very quickly running out of credible challengers. Jon Fitch is a very dangerous fight for Jake Shields. And if Fitch beats Shields, then there's no one left to challenge GSP, unless you look forward to a GSP vs Fitch II
BigBadAl
10/12/10 5:15:53PM
So Strikeforce fights count towards Dana's ranking system then.
grappler0000
10/12/10 5:25:05PM

Posted by BigBadAl

So Strikeforce fights count towards Dana's ranking system then.

Well, it's pretty hard to discredit the wins. Besides, it's fresh meat, which I think the vast majority would agree is better than cycling through the same challengers.
seanfu
10/12/10 6:13:55PM

Posted by FastKnockout

What about Kampmann? I don't like the guy, but if he beats Shields he should be next for the title shot, especially if he does it in impressive fasion. With back to back wins against Paulo Thiago and Shields, I don't see anyone better unless it's going to be another title shot rematch between GSP and Fitch.

The reason he shouldnt is the sole reason Fitch hasn't rematched yet. The matchup. It would likely be another Hardy and noone wishes to see that as one of the two title fights max people get to see a year from WW.

bjj1605
10/12/10 8:16:36PM
I want to see shields fight him because I think he has a chance to win. Fitch has changed nothing since their first fight.
Bloodhound
10/12/10 8:58:04PM
Makes sense considering Shields has beaten some credible opponents lately (Hendo, Daley, Miller, etc.) and because Shields is one of the few dangerous guys left for GSP
seanfu
10/13/10 1:29:54PM

Posted by bjj1605

I want to see shields fight him because I think he has a chance to win. Fitch has changed nothing since their first fight.

I noticed a dramatic increase in striking ability but he never uses it ever.
prozacnation1978
10/13/10 4:18:25PM
I don't know why you guys hate shields
The dude has beaten guys in literally 3 different weight classes
He beat condit, daley, okami, hendo, mayhem,

If he beats martin he deserves next shot.
Now is kammpman wins. There gotta be a number one contender match
Between him and fitch.

I like martin have met him a couple times, really cool guy but come next weekend
I am rooting for shields