Bonnar Injured; Newcomer ‘Markes’ in for UFC Live 5

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bonnar Injured; Newcomer ‘Markes’ in for UFC Live 5
grappler0000
6/17/11 9:02:33PM
Stephan Bonnar has suffered an undisclosed injury and will be unable to compete as scheduled at UFC Live 5, the promotion announced Friday. Octagon newcomer Ronny Markes will get the call to confront Karlos Vemola, Bonnar's original opponent for the event.

Headlined by a welterweight clash between hard-hitting Brit Dan Hardy and durable veteran Chris Lytle, UFC Live 5 goes down Aug. 14 from the Bradley Center in Milwaukee. The event is also scheduled to feature a pivotal lightweight duel, as the surging Jim Miller squares off with former WEC champion Benson Henderson.

Markes, 23, rides a four-fight winning streak heading into his showdown with Vemola. The reigning light heavyweight king of Shooto Brazil, Markes has only lost once as a professional. The Nova Uniao representative holds nine of his 11 career wins by either knockout or submission and most recently earned a unanimous decision victory over former Pride Fighting Championships standout Paulo Filho in August...

Full Story
Budgellism
6/17/11 9:37:26PM
Awesome to see Markes in the big leagues but I was hoping to see Bonnar. I had a hard time picking a winner in this fight and I would have loved to see if Bonnar could handle it. Oh well. I'm gonna go with Vemola in this one.
Cooler
6/17/11 9:40:49PM
This is a more competitive fight, Bonnar was gonna get rolled on

now they can finally make bonnar vs kos at middleweight
prozacnation1978
6/17/11 11:05:40PM
The card is stacked they can find a fight to jump to main card
emfleek
6/17/11 11:33:18PM
+1

I can honestly say that I've never looked forward to a Bonnar fight.
KoldKhaos
6/18/11 12:38:53AM
Wonder if its cause Koscheck kicked his ass....
Playground_Samurai
6/18/11 12:30:13PM

Posted by emfleek

+1

I can honestly say that I've never looked forward to a Bonnar fight.

That's crazy talk Fleek. His fights with Krzysztof were wars and I could watch them over and over again. Even when he was getting thrown around the cage by Bones, he put on a great show. Well, I guess it was more of Bones putting on the show, but whatever.

Would have loved to see Bonnar prove some people wrong, but i'm definately interested to see these two up and comers go at it.