Bob Arum: The UFC got buried Saturday night

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bob Arum: The UFC got buried Saturday night
emfleek
11/14/11 10:39:21AM
UFC president Dana White loves boxing, but the promoters, not so much, 80-year-old Bob Arum especially. in the space of two minutes, White has called Arum an "idiot, moron, full of s---, big, fat, mouth shooting off, rich, lying, makes me sick, phony, two-faced pig, scumbag who destroyed the entire sport of boxing."

Arum has made similar comments, but reversed.

Arum admires the promoters of the UFC, saying "I love the way they have shown us, because of how well they’ have been doing, in certain aspects, to make us adapt, they do an unbelievable job on advertising on the Internet. They do an unbelievable job in the arena with music and so forth, and steaming up the crowd, we’re trying to duplicate it. They are great promoters ... and they are really good guys so I give them all the kudos, and all the credit for what they’ve done. Theres’ no knock on them, these are good class guys who really built a terrific business."

Arum however, hates the sport, and the fans. "For me MMA is garbage and junk, that’s how I feel and I would think that the majority of people of my generation would feel the same ... It’s fans are skinheads ... It’s horrible, guys rolling around like homosexuals on the ground. It is not a sport, the guys who throw punches can’t throw a punch to save their ass, when the punches land the guys have no chins."

Saturday night the UFC debuted on national television, immediately before the Arum promoted Pacquiao fight, and it offered Bob Arum another opportunity to go off on MMA, and the UFC.

"They thought they would hurt us,” Arum said of the UFC. “Instead they got hurt because they got buried. But I think the fact they’re just on for an hour helps us.”

FULL STORY
SmileR
11/14/11 10:47:35AM
With almost 6 million people in the US alone watching the fight I doubt it will burry the UFC. Boxing is dying an even the Pacman-Marquez fight failed to get the viewers it wanted. He's just trying to drum up some interest in boxing off the UFC's back.
Sadly he's right about the fact that the show is only on for a hour. I think the UFC needs to address the hour long set.

On a side note I can't wait for this guy to die! He's ruining boxing an he's a greedy scumbag! Only Don King is worse than him!
airkerma
11/14/11 10:52:42AM
He's right about a few things: 1. I am a skinhead. 2. Since the grappling is in fact 100% homosexual, I am also a homosexual. 3. Since all fans (including myself) are both skinheads and homosexuals, we all hate ourselves and each other because we are walking talking contradictions. 4. . 5. Profit???
SmileR
11/14/11 11:04:58AM

Posted by airkerma

He's right about a few things: 1. I am a skinhead. 2. Since the grappling is in fact 100% homosexual, I am also a homosexual. 3. Since all fans (including myself) are both skinheads and homosexuals, we all hate ourselves and each other because we are walking talking contradictions. 4. . 5. Profit???

Don't forget the majority of 80 year olds would think MMA is garbage... Which I'm sure will put a stop to almost 50% of the target demographic!
Budgellism
11/14/11 11:23:33AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by airkerma

Don't forget the majority of 80 year olds would think MMA is garbage... Which I'm sure will put a stop to almost 50% of the target demographic!

lol, Bob Arum sucks. Him being a complete tool added to me getting banned from Bloodyelbow.

On a side note, when my 70 year old grandfather visited this summer we sat down and watched UFC Fight Night: Shields vs. Ellenberger together and he loved it. When I was a little kid we used to watch the WWF together all the time so watching mma with him and to see him enjoy it was special for me
emfleek
11/14/11 11:26:55AM

Posted by Budgellism

On a side note, when my 70 year old grandfather visited this summer we sat down and watched UFC Fight Night: Shields vs. Ellenberger together and he loved it. When I was a little kid we used to watch the WWF together all the time so watching mma with him and to see him enjoy it was special for me

That's awesome. I used to do the same with my grandpa (watch WWE). He also loved watching western TV shows like the Rifleman, Bonanza, etc. That's one of the things about my childhood that I miss the most.
scpd400
11/14/11 11:58:21AM
Arum whos that????? I am 46 and have not watched boxing since I don't know when, I am a skin head but because I lost my hair when I was 18. Boxing is boring UFC is not. I love the grappling, and the standup. So I guess Im a homosexual too. I will let my wife and 4 kids know asap.
scpd400
11/14/11 11:59:30AM
I would rather watch less than 2 minutes of UFC than a full 12 rounds of boxing.
prophecy033
11/14/11 12:26:14PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by SmileR

Posted by airkerma

lol, Bob Arum sucks. Him being a complete tool added to me getting banned from Bloodyelbow.

I know what you mean. My gpa is 84 and can barely walk but when WECWreckage was on he would always watch it. He loved the fact that these guys were as athletic as they are
icantthinkofanything
11/14/11 12:35:15PM
I was so pissed when i heard this because I thought the Junior Cain fight was awesome and was perfect for new fans a quick knockout , i agree that 1 fight and an hour (if primarily talk and storyline) is not enough fight time, but i think the ufc made a huge step with this one, and could get 2 times as many viewers next time, and DW and everyone always looking at the bad points about it being 60 seconds bad game plan and no guida, have helped in Arums cause to make it seem like it was a failure, it is just that mma fans are hardcore and want more! income inequality between headliners and prelims is worse in boxing, and no 3 knock down rule is thought to be more dangerous than the mma tko-ko's where they get gnp'd after being ko'd on the feet....like for example-the justified stoppage of Cain. Cain went out but woke real quick, however there wasn't a chance he could have survived the ending if it was stopped any later, jr would have kept landing bombs while Cain's head was flat faced into the ground. If the Ufc wants exciting fights, the lighter weight classes always deliver in my opinion, the Light weight Division specifically,
Manak
11/14/11 1:12:23PM
Arum is a joke, once the pacman/floyd fight happens boxing will official be dead... mayweather stalling is actually good cause after that fight there is nothing left to see or talk about. its clear he knows nothing about mma. not worth talking about him
BuffaloDave
11/14/11 1:59:30PM
All I got to say to Arum,

isk
11/14/11 2:32:25PM
This is hilarious. The Pacquiao/Marquez fight did not go as they intended with a rather controversial decision in the process. It's a little fighting mathy to say, but here's what happened -

-Pacquiao is known for his offense and excellent chin
-Marquez is known for his speed and counterpunching
-Mayweather is known for even better speed and counterpunching
-Pacquiao draws Marquez, then barely beats him, then barely beats him again with some folks questioning the decisions
-Mayweather eats Marquez for lunch in the middle there

And even now, some folks are questioning the match between Pacman and Mayweather. Don't get me wrong, I love Pacquiao as a fighter and wish him all the best, but Arum is pulling a Tito here - he's either genuinely crazy or he's just trying to get attention.
TheCatFather
11/14/11 2:58:11PM
The only thing Arum buried was his genitals because he doesn't use them anymore. Really, a rubber match between a guy that drinks his own pee and a guy who sings like boy George with his dutch boy haircut is not gay? Give me a break, this why my love for boxing has died over the years. Long live MMA!!!!!!!1
Geoffo
11/14/11 3:06:44PM
People who say MMA is junk compared to boxing, are completely idiotic, retarded and are ignorant fools of human beings. Boxing is a great sport but its dying, there are hardly any big names. Boxers fight 40 cans and pad their record before they start fighting big names. Don't get me wrong, it takes incredible skill to compete in boxing. But MMA fighters are taking it to a

whole...

notha...

level.

Kickboxing is a sport within itself.
BJJ is a sport within itself
Wrestling is a sport within itself.

If you put that together, how is that junk compared to boxing?

Dumb people logic fail.
Chael_Sonnen
11/14/11 3:42:16PM
Would rather be considered a "skin head" (MMA fan) then a wife beating, baby-daddy thug who slurs his speech (boxing fan).

Boxing is dead even with Manny and Floyd fighting currently....just wait until they both retire, which will be very soon.

Edit, does Bob even realize this was only a teaser one fight event? Huh, probably not.
Bubbles
11/14/11 4:13:19PM
just put Arum and Merchant in the ring together, have them both KO each other so we can be done with them.
BeeR
11/14/11 5:17:08PM
WTF is boxing?
Geoffo
11/14/11 5:36:58PM
Someone photoshop a picture of Arum in place of Cain Velasquez so we can all see Junior Dos Santos knock the fuck out of that old scumbag.
BlueSkiesBurn
11/14/11 7:59:28PM
I'm not even going to acknowledge these comments other than to say that Bob Arum is clearly a bigot.
ncordless
11/14/11 9:02:51PM
Homosexual Skinhead Fighting FTW!!!
tcunningham
11/15/11 3:11:50AM
my grandpa is almost 80 years and is one of the nicest gentlest people on this planet, that being said, he watches UFC with me and goes to my fights. he would probably call Arum a pussy
mrsmiley
11/15/11 6:16:58AM
I suggest Bob Arum go and read the book "The Naked Olympics".
I'm sure he would find it rather uncomfortable to know that pancration and boxing where both part of the games and that (Gasp) they where naked!