Bellator 179 post-event facts: Cheick Kongo is winningest heavyweight in Bellator history

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Bellator 179 post-event facts: Cheick Kongo is winningest heavyweight in Bellator history
grappler0000
5/21/17 11:46:42AM
Rory MacDonald’s long journey back to the win column finally came to an end Friday when the former UFC title challenger was victorious in his Bellator debut against Paul Daley at Bellator 179.

MacDonald (19-4 MMA, 1-0 BMMA) dismantled Daley (39-15-2 MMA, 5-2 BMMA) with a superior ground game en route to a second-round submission finish in the welterweight contender bout at The SSE Arena in London, giving “The Red King” his first victory in 31 months.

The Canadian wasn’t the only one to deliver a notable performance at Bellator’s 10th event of the year, though. For more, check below for 25 post-event facts to come out of Bellator 179.

Full Story
xdanish020
5/22/17 2:25:59AM
Kongo the newest John Fitch. It's amazing to me how much his game has changed and I'm not blasting him for it, it's actually pretty smart to keep himself from taking damage.....but I'm not so sure he won his last fight. Augusto did little but at least he prevented the take downs and landed the better strikes when they were on the feet. He just kept backing himself into the fence, where Kongo could shoot in and force a double leg, or at least stall against the cage, but the guy who's back is up against the cage is usually losing and that was the case for Augusto most of this fight.

Kongo is gonna have to step his game up tho, I imagine he will get the winner of Fedor vs. Mitrione b/c their HW division is not very deep. Also I wanted to note that this was the first time I could remember Kongo without abs.........
finnish_line
5/23/17 11:18:34AM

Kongo fights are the exact opposite of "must watch" now.
tildengolfer
5/23/17 1:40:24PM
I did not realize how long 'Cup Check' Kongo had been with Bellator. He is not exciting to watch, but he is a HW. So there's always the possibility of a flash KO from anyone at anytime. Plus, the HW division is shallow in that pond currently, so it's easy to be a big fish.
airkerma
5/23/17 2:50:20PM

Posted by finnish_line

Kongo fights are the exact opposite of "must watch" now.

He used to be my favorite hw. It seemed like after he got outwrestled by Cain he became envious and wanted to show everyone how great his wrestling was...forever.

Also, how long has winningest been a word? That sounds like the madeupiest word ever.
prozacnation1978
5/23/17 6:53:37PM
Sad a organization that hasnt had a title fight at heavyweight like in 3 years.