Belfort for the title

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Belfort for the title
State_Champ
9/20/09 8:59:42AM
Does the playground think Belfort jumps in front of Marquardt and Henderson to fight the Spider?

I really don't know what to think on this.
I wanna say 'no' because he only has had one fight and it was against a guy that Hendo beat, but I just don't know.
BustedKnuckle
9/20/09 9:26:34AM
No but a #1 contender fight with Nate would be nice. He has a good win streak going and i hope he does get a fight with Anderson. That would be an amzing striking display by both fighters. But to figure out who gets the next shot at Siva is a hard thing to figure. All three guys are diserving IMO
scobac
9/20/09 9:39:40AM
I guess this pushes poor Okami even further down the ladder. I kinda feel bad for him 7-1 in the ufc middle wieght division and almost never gets considered for a shot at the title, I know he is a somewhat boring fighter but if it wasnt for his inactivity this year he should have been considered.

does anyone know why he hasnt fought this year?
postman
9/20/09 9:40:40AM
No Dan gets it and have Nate and Vitor have a next contender fight.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
9/20/09 9:54:40AM
dan vs nate for the next shot as promised and okami vs belfort
mentalcase
9/20/09 10:16:29AM
Dana said vitor is deserving of an immediate title shot and Nate vs hendo for the next shot, and i agree
State_Champ
9/20/09 10:25:46AM

Posted by postman

Of all the options I think this might be best....or maybe have Belfort fight Okami and Nate/Dan winner gets first shot.
I just don't know what the UFC should do, but I have no doubt they will do whatever they want.
sparky
9/20/09 11:12:56AM

Posted by mentalcase

Dana said vitor is deserving of an immediate title shot and Nate vs hendo for the next shot, and i agree

I agree with you I think dan is deserving of a title also but after watching Vitor murder Franklin like it was a day in the park kind of sealed the deal for me
jawbreaker517
9/20/09 11:16:39AM
What i'd ultimately like to see is Nate vs. Dan, then the winner faces Silva.
jiujitsufreak74
9/20/09 11:37:36AM
this is what i wrote in a similar thread:

let him have at least one round of UFC experience (on this current venture back to the octagon) before you give him Anderson. i think the UFC should build him up a little more from both a promotional stand point and from a fight fan stand point. Henderson/Marquardt should be the next challenger and while i believe Vitor is one of few fighters at 185 that would make me think about not picking Anderson, i don't think it is time for him to get a shot just yet
higdon10
9/20/09 12:34:25PM
I think that Hendo and Nate are still in front of him.
nickcuc547
9/20/09 1:05:46PM
koing rich franklin on top of his wins in different orgs I think he has earned a fight against Silva, but so hasn't hendo and marquardt, the ufc is in a very difficult situation with three worthy contenders. IMO Hendo vs. silva 2 and belfort vs. marquardt, just the feeling i get because i think the ufc gives in to hendo's demands.
RMFG_187
9/20/09 2:05:16PM
Here's how I see it. Vitor looked impressive, but its only one fight. If he gets a title shot, then daley deserves 1 too. They both finished a top contender in there first fight in the ufc, for vitor its the first fight back. But you all know that hendo and nate would clean vitor clock, and that daley would get murdered by fitch n alves. If vitor gets a title shot, we will quickly find out that he shouldn't deserve it and didn't earn it. A silva would pick him apart. If he beats another top contender then he earns his shot, but if not, he's not even top 3 MWs in my book.
jae_1833
9/20/09 2:35:16PM
Dude, after last night I don't know ****! I am just ecstactic that the UFC's MW div is worth talking about so much again. For a while there it was whipped out and predictable and IMO that makes it boring. I think A. Silva should give the belt up completely and just go on a LHW run, barring retirement or fighting Machida which he says he won't do. Let Hendo and Nate duke it out for the new MW title, then have Belfort and Okami go at it for the #1 contendar spot. The rest of the div will just fall into place nicely after that.
mentalcase
9/20/09 10:06:58PM

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by postman

Of all the options I think this might be best....or maybe have Belfort fight Okami and Nate/Dan winner gets first shot.
I just don't know what the UFC should do, but I have no doubt they will do whatever they want.

why do people think Dan deserves a shot so much do u remember he hardly beat Franklin and if that fight was longer Franklin was likely to win
EvenFlow
9/20/09 10:11:28PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by postman

why do people think Dan deserves a shot so much do u remember he hardly beat Franklin and if that fight was longer Franklin was likely to win

Marquardt recently lost to Leites who has since been cut, Vitor hasnt won a fight at 185 in the UFC and Dan hasnt lost since Anderson and was promised the shot before the Bisbing fight if he won, what else do you need?
mentalcase
9/20/09 10:36:50PM
everyone know marquart was robbed of victory due to ref error, vitor dosnt need to win 185 in the ufc he destroyed lindland and rich

dan has been less then impressive in his wins against rich and palharis

anyway at the end of the day the guy running the ufc will give vitor the next title shot and put Dan vs marquart for the next one

I'm just here arguing with people cause the hendo nutthuggery annoys me
EvenFlow
9/20/09 11:07:54PM
To be fair to Leites, Marquardt shouldve been DQ'd for piledriving him, he deserved to lose on just that and the 1 point that shouldve been taken away, I agree the 2nd point taken away was ridiculous though.
Bloodhound
9/21/09 12:30:21AM
Marquardt and Henderson already got destroyed by Silva, lets see Vitor Vs Silva then Henderson or Marquardt can fight the winner of that
juggernautakira
9/21/09 7:43:48AM

Posted by RMFG_187

Here's how I see it. Vitor looked impressive, but its only one fight. If he gets a title shot, then daley deserves 1 too. They both finished a top contender in there first fight in the ufc, for vitor its the first fight back. But you all know that hendo and nate would clean vitor clock, and that daley would get murdered by fitch n alves. If vitor gets a title shot, we will quickly find out that he shouldn't deserve it and didn't earn it. A silva would pick him apart. If he beats another top contender then he earns his shot, but if not, he's not even top 3 MWs in my book.

Bingo.

I think people should stop fuc.king around with this. Dan earned it rightfully first, then Nate, then Vitor (as someone already said). Throughout this ladder, Vitor wouldve earned more hype hopefully by winning another fight.
cj_striker
9/21/09 4:17:37PM

This is a good point, Hendo did just barely inch out a win over Franklin and Vitor Ko'ed Franklin...but this is the beauty of MMA, it's all about how fighter's strengths and weaknesses match up and how that fighter performs on that particular night. IMO Franklin can beat both Hendo and Vitor if he performed to his fullest potential on that particular night. Unfornately for Franklin, Vitor caught him it's that simple. But I believe people are quick to want to give Hendo a rematch because of how he performed against Silva, he is the only person to win a round against him, since he started fighting in the UFC. Hendo does match up well against Silva (and now that he realizes he must use his wrestling to win, instead of loading up with the right) he could actually defeat Anderson. Marquardt seems to have improved greatly since his defeat at the hands of Silva. And Vitor has been on a tear and did just KO Franklin who is still a top contender in MMA, even though I feel Franklin could defeat Vitor. But anyway I feel the UFC should let Hendo have his rematch with Anderson and have Marquardt and Vitor fight for the number one contender spot. And have Okami fight someone like Maia or Bisping (people who just recently lost to two of the best in the division) for a future contender position. And let me add to that...I cannot believe how badly Maia lost to Marquardt.
mentalcase
9/21/09 9:47:28PM

Posted by RMFG_187

if daley was coming off a KO win over jake sheilds aswell as his win over kampman then he would deserves a title shot but hes not .

don't compare Daley to Vitor, Vitor is a phenom he doesn't have to prove jack sh it on any given day when hes on he can be the best in the world, and he proved he on in his last 2 fights taking out two great fighters

Daley on the other hand will lose to any decent fighter that can take him down and sub or G&p him
bigbubbano23
9/22/09 2:14:18AM
he def, needs another fight before he gets a shot. it should be against nate since i think dan is still undecided about his future and wants to wait for a shot.
StorminYourman
9/22/09 2:50:46AM
Vitor,Dan and Nate are all deserving of the title shot
But Vitor lacks something which all these men do not.
That would be a loss to Anderson.
It is his turn,let the man goto battle.
He is a freakin legend in the sport and should fight another one.
Silva versus Belfort will be an awsome match up.
Let us hope it happens
bayonetxwork
9/22/09 11:55:14AM
honestly yeah belfort won, but I don't think he looked all that impressive...he beat Franklin with about 3 punches and everyone knows if you clip Rich, he's probably gonna go down...I'd like to see him in a more competitve fight with either Hendo or Okami or Marqaurdt to see if he really is ready. If he beats 2 of those 3 he definitely deserves it.
RMFG_187
9/22/09 12:35:34PM

Posted by mentalcase

if daley was coming off a KO win over jake sheilds aswell as his win over kampman then he would deserves a title shot but hes not .

don't compare Daley to Vitor, Vitor is a phenom he doesn't have to prove jack sh it on any given day when hes on he can be the best in the world, and he proved he on in his last 2 fights taking out two great fighters

Daley on the other hand will lose to any decent fighter that can take him down and sub or G&p him

come on now, your acting like Vitor is the best in the world. granted, hes on a 4 or 5 fight win streak, and he KO'd Lindland. but he KOd a 39 year old Lindland, who has looked less than stellar in the recent past. Vitor looked impressive, but I am telling you, he isnt a Top 3 UFC MW, and he deserves a Title shot?? Vitor is no where near a higher echelon fighter YET. He beat Rich Franklin which was a perfect matchup for him. If he fights Hendo, Marquardt, A Silva he will have BIG problems. Vitor gasses early, and is the type of fighter thats spirit can be broken in an instant. He showed improvement in his patience and countering, but thats not enough. In a 5 rounder, he would get mauled. Mark my words, his time at the "top" wont last long when he fights a real Title contender. A fighter like Vitor is never and will never be consistent.
bjj1605
9/22/09 12:52:35PM

Posted by RMFG_187

Wow you've certainly made a lot of assumptions in this post. First of all beating Rich Franklin is a lot different than beating Martin Kampman(sp). Rich is a former champ, a huge star, and a consistently high performer. Martin was a contender only because GSP has cleared out the division so well. He has been somewhat inconsistent and risky. He never held a title. And he doesn't have nearly the same name value.

I don't think its safe to say we all know that "hendo and nate would clean vitor clock, and that daley would get murdered by fitch n alves." You would probably get a lot of argument on both those statements.

Also, IMO, Vitor is the most deserving of a shot. His name value is relatively high because he was a former champ and former star. He just demolished a VERY big name in Rich Franklin for the main event of a big card. He hasn't fought Anderson before and that already makes it more interesting than watching Anderson fight two guys he's already beaten.

I say give Vitor the shot and have Nate and Dan fight for the next one. Okami gets the looser of one of those two fights. If he wins he's third in line and if he looses we can finally stop hearing about an overrated fighter who has yet to prove him self as a legitimate title threat.
Rush
9/22/09 10:07:18PM
The whole MW title shot issue is a fiasco right now. Both Henderson and Nate deserve shots and shouldn't be fighting each other.

Added to which, I am in no rush to see Vitor get a title shot. However, I don't want him waiting too long. It's only a matter of time before contender's are wiped out (look at Koscheck and Kampmann)
mentalcase
9/22/09 10:19:20PM
its not really a fiasco, Dana said Vitor gets next shot then Dan vs Nate for the next

Dans just holding out cause he thinks he deserves it already even tho he hasn't done much, all hes really proved is that hes about same level as Franklin
Rush
9/22/09 10:22:59PM

Posted by mentalcase

its not really a fiasco, Dana said Vitor gets next shot then Dan vs Nate for the next

I think it's a fiasco because Anderson is moonlighting at LHW or HW. I think Nate should have gotten the shot instead of having to fight Dan. Dan should be next in line after Nate, following another win against a decent guy. The whole situation keeps changing because Anderson is doing other things, even though he could be fighting frequently at MW.