August - Pound-for-Pound Rankings from ESPN

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » August - Pound-for-Pound Rankings from ESPN
Violentcuv
8/21/07 4:24:42PM
ESPN's Pound 4 Pound Rankings for August
There are a couple surprises that slipped in there. I expected to see Chuck in there too. I wouldnt have him in my top ten but coming from ESPN I thought they would put him in there.
Jujiden
8/21/07 4:42:11PM
Not too bad of a list. I like how ESPN took the time to survey a larger scope of the MMA landscape rather than sticking with the "popular" fighters. While I disagree with a couple of their rankings, I find their reasoning sound.
juanez13
8/21/07 4:47:35PM
pretty good list, except i would put rampage so high, let alone put him in the list, i would put wanderlei silva in there instead, maybe not so high but for sure in the top ten, he held the title for 7 years, and he beat the best, and he just lost his title,,,

i wouldnt put rampage becuase in pride he never made it to the top in pride and 2 wins in the ufc just doesnt make him top 5 p4p fighter, and i dont think a win over chuck can put him in there, in pride he lost to top competition
(shogun,wanderlei, sakuraba).....what im tryin to say is that a win over chuck liddell shouldnt put him in the pounf for pound list, and he hasnt defended his belt yet, i think he will be there sometime in his carreer but not just yet.......

i was also excpecting chuck to be there(although i wouldnt put him there), just because he was the face of the ufc for quite a bit and the casual fans are familiar with him, but i think they made the right choice, he hadnt face top competition in a long time, and he held the title when the division lacked of talent ( thats why he fought randy 3x, tito2x, and babalu2x).....other that i agree with most
silverbullet
8/21/07 5:11:15PM
I don't know what Sean Sherk and Anderson Silva are doing on that list. Who did Silva ever beat? Oh, I apologize, he broke Rich Franklin's nose. Well, beating up a guy who an average American fan can recognize, instantly makes you the #5 fighter in the world!

Yes, Sherk is awesome at taking guys down and laying on top of them like a steroid-jacked sack of potatoes. How does that make him one of the best pound for pound fighter in the world? I am not sure. Why not put Hughes up there? Hughes could write books on the lay and pray technique, and he actually submits people once in a blue moon. Oh I am sorry, Hughes recently lost his belt to GSP, another guy who could would KTFO Sherk in under 3 minutes.

And I don't think that holding a belt has anything to do with being the best pound for pound fighter. They should have named that list a ranking of "The dudes who currently hold the belts in the major MMA organizations, operational or defunct".

This list is a complete joke just like any list that leaves out GSP, and Penn, and Diaz, and leaves guys like Gomi and Sherk on there. Gomi legitimately lost to Penn, and Diaz, what the hell is he doing on the top 10 list?! Hell, he would probably lose to Diego Sanchez.
EddieBowers
8/21/07 5:14:54PM
I am not 100% on board with their list. JMO
Lord_Lenny
8/21/07 5:18:58PM
No BJ? No GSP? I wouldn't have Melendez as high either, he hasnt fought at the level of competition as anyone on that list. I'd also put Kid higher up maybe switch him with rampage.

My order (using these fighters)

1. Fedor
2. Shogun
3. Henderson
4. A. Silva
5. Kid Yamamoto
6. Sherk
7. Jackson
8. Gomi
9. Aoki
10. Melendez
pjdaly6
8/21/07 5:30:01PM
postman
8/21/07 6:08:26PM
Hey I'm not saying right now but if Fedor dosn't sign soon he will have only one fight for 2007. I know there are good HWs in other orgs. but the UFC is clearly grabbing all the best talent. So say he signs somewhere else and only has one fight in 07 how far into 08 will we still be calling him the p4p best? Many will still think it but can you really give him the title without the fights to back it?
kerazzle
8/21/07 9:14:02PM
melendez and rampage dont belong there imo. They need to put Penn there and Wanderlei Silva....the man was a champ for 7 godamn years.
jomatty
8/21/07 10:22:13PM
leaving bj penn off of this list is crazy imo. they even mention that he is the only other fighter to fight in multiple weightclasses and excel when talking about melendez. there is just no way that bj can be left off and that melendez can be that high.

i also think gsp should be on the list.
TOMMYAYO05
8/21/07 11:04:31PM
Im impressed.espn actually did pretty good except where is bj?sherk should definetley not be up there.
Ordep
8/21/07 11:21:19PM
I agree with most of you.....

GSP and Penn should replace Melendez and Sherk (meaning in the list not in the position on it).

Also.... I'm glad Aoki is there
Basshandsome
8/22/07 12:24:28AM
Yea, first off i am pretty sure that ESPN probably had nothing to do with those rankings and just went with what Sherdog said. I don't agree with many of those choices at all but it is just my opinion and everyones is different. I see alot of people think that BJ should be on the list and I dont think he should and here is why. In his last 5 fights he is 2-3. I dont think he should be on the lsit higher than people he lost to and for a win over Jens.He needs to get wins over top 10 fighters to make the list. His potential is unlimited but that is not enough to make the P4P top 10. I understand that he does hold some Big wins but that was over 2 years ago. Again this is just my opinion.
DMcCabe11
8/22/07 12:28:27AM

Posted by silverbullet

I don't know what Sean Sherk and Anderson Silva are doing on that list. Who did Silva ever beat?
Yes, Sherk is awesome at taking guys down and laying on top of them like a steroid-jacked sack of potatoes. How does that make him one of the best pound for pound fighter in the world? I am not sure. Why not put Hughes up there? Hughes could write books on the lay and pray technique.....

This list is a complete joke just like any list that leaves out GSP, and Penn, and Diaz, and leaves guys like Gomi and Sherk on there. Gomi legitimately lost to Penn, and Diaz, what the hell is he doing on the top 10 list?!

first things first i do not like u at all i wud go as far as to say i hate you.....ok Anderson SIlva what has he done besides do away with every fighter put infront of him.....a guy who is a BJJ black belt, a guy who was ranked in the top 3 in the world before his loss to silva, and a 7 time king of pancrase champion.....you questioning Anderson Silva's ranking as one of the best fighters in the world = you are not just a tool but the whole tool box, the only reason Diaz beat Gomi is cuz Gomi doesnt care when nothing is on the line and was begging the ref to stop the fight cuz he owed Diaz's face Bj beat Gomi 4 years ago before he started knocking people out and became # 1 in the world and hasnt beat any ranked fighters in years so he needs to get a good win to be ranked
gspgnp
8/22/07 9:25:01AM

Posted by Basshandsome

Yea, first off i am pretty sure that ESPN probably had nothing to do with those rankings and just went with what Sherdog said.

Your right! It is the exact same list and explanations for it as Sherdog's P4P list. It is simply cut and paste
UBTossinasalad
8/22/07 12:25:33PM

Posted by gspgnp

Posted by Basshandsome

Yea, first off i am pretty sure that ESPN probably had nothing to do with those rankings and just went with what Sherdog said.

Your right! It is the exact same list and explanations for it as Sherdog's P4P list. It is simply cut and paste

Guy's It says its from Sherdog on the page. If you go to ESPN's mma page its just selective links to Sherdog.

ESPN isnt trying to take any credit for this list, they are just posting it on their site like any other stuff from Sherdog they do.