Anderson Silva versus Yushin Okami in Rio (Confirmed)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Anderson Silva versus Yushin Okami in Rio (Confirmed)
emfleek
4/14/11 8:34:58AM
Yushin Okami will receive the middleweight title shot he earned last year after all.

UFC president Dana White confirmed with USA Today on Wednesday that UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will defend his title against Okami on Aug. 27 in Rio de Janiero. The news was first reported by Tatame.com.

Okami (26-5) earned the shot to fight Silva (28-4) at UFC 122 when he defeated Nate Marquardt. However, following Silva's win over Vitor Belfort in February, White indicated that Okami might have to wait while Georges St-Pierre fought Silva first.

LINK
tallica62
4/14/11 9:49:10AM
doesnt really excite me...only to see silva

both are great fighters, but this match doesnt tickle my fancy
prozacnation1978
4/14/11 9:49:28AM
Good fight

Glad to see okami get his just deserve

Okami- most underrated fighter in ufc

10-2. Two losses by decisions

No one has put him away in the ufc

Give him his respect!!!
TeamDEY
4/14/11 9:55:02AM
Don't really care to see this fight but none the less it needs to happen. Lets just hope Silva doesn't dance around for 5 rounds.
Sir_Karl
4/14/11 10:26:44AM
Is this fight over yet? Oh, it hasn't even happened yet. Shucks. I think these 2 are going to circle each other for 25 minutes waiting for each other to attack. Yawn.
grappler0000
4/14/11 10:48:14AM
I, for one, am excited for this to happen
quezocrema0032
4/14/11 12:06:45PM
I don't think the actual fight excites me, like I see the fight itself being a dud. But I for once won't miss it like it makes to much sense, the number one contender is the last man to beat the champ and its a good time for a rematch. If gsp wins this will give him time to bulk up before the fight, and silva has a chance to compete in brazil.
icantthinkofanything
4/14/11 12:42:08PM
On second thought, this fight is just a formality to me,
so Silva can move on, maybe to 205 like Nog said, maybe to fight GSP, who knows they could get Chael back for a mw title fight, and by the time this all happens, new mw's and ww's will have surfaced to have new title contenders.

I think both GSP and Silva want that
title defense record
and most wins in a row etc. hall of fame etc...

I think GSP is good enough to have a chance in beating Silva, which says a lot, because I think Cain and Jon Jones are the only other fighters who may be able to beat the Spider.

GSP vs Silva at a Catch weight at 175

I think a same day weigh in should be used for superfights, and problem is solved...!

GSP VS Silva...that fight would be awesome, I am just so sick and tired of all the hype and unkept promises of this darn superfight...
KTFOd
4/14/11 12:45:42PM
I'm hoping Okami brings it like Chael did, if not then it's going to be a boring fight.
tepid55
4/14/11 12:53:53PM
I think Okami can win a UD in this fight.
Chael_Sonnen
4/14/11 1:43:29PM

Posted by tepid55

I think Okami can win a UD in this fight.

Ditto
postman
4/14/11 2:11:03PM

Posted by quezocrema0032

I don't think the actual fight excites me, like I see the fight itself being a dud. But I for once won't miss it like it makes to much sense, the number one contender is the last man to beat the champ and its a good time for a rematch. If gsp wins this will give him time to bulk up before the fight, and silva has a chance to compete in brazil.

Did you miss the news that after the Okami fight Anderson is going to move to 205?
emfleek
4/14/11 2:12:08PM

Posted by postman

Posted by quezocrema0032

Did you miss the news that after the Okami fight Anderson is going to move to 205?

That was according to Big Nog. According to Dana, if both GSP and Anderson win their fights, they *will* fight each other.
Aether
4/14/11 2:13:16PM

Posted by tallica62

doesnt really excite me...only to see silva

both are great fighters, but this match doesnt tickle my fancy

This.

I'm not even a little bit interested in this matchup. Okami is a great fighter, but Anderson is on a completely different level.
tcunningham
4/14/11 3:09:02PM
silvas gonna pick him apart on the feet and then get a tko. okami beat marquart but it was boring and he really didnt impress me. theres a reason okami is underrated. hes not that exciting for me.