UFC 223 Results: Bonus Winners, Highlights (VIDEO), Twitter Reaction, Attendance And Gate

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 223 Results: Bonus Winners, Highlights (VIDEO), Twitter Reaction, Attendance And Gate
JLS
4/8/18 9:50:00AM
Justice has been served. Khabib Nurmagomedov defeated Al Iaquinta in a lopsided unanimous decision that finally won him the UFC lightweight championship.

The performance featured a dominant wrestling performance through two rounds and a surprisingly effective striking game from Nurmagomedov. Early on, Nurmagomedov took down Iaquinta at will. In fact, he secured eight takedowns in all during the fight and dealt a good measure of damage to Iaquinta from top position.

Overall, the fight stats were drastically in favor of Nurmagomedov through the five rounds.

Iaquinta deserves a ton of respect for the performance he turned in after taking this fight on short notice. He was originally scheduled to face Paul Felder, but after the Conor McGregor drama stripped three fights from the card, and Max Holloway, Anthony Pettis, and Felder weren’t allowed to face Nurmagomedov for a variety of reasons, Iaquinta took the assignment.

Link

aussiemma
4/8/18 6:04:54PM
Rogan was so annoying with his commentating of the main event. He was shitting on Khabib's striking for the last 2-3 rounds. Khabib is not a world class striker yet he was picking Al apart and landing jab after jab, plus he had 3 opponent changes in less than a week. I didn't get Rogan's criticism, you already know Khabib is a grappler and not a striker so wtf do you expect. Also despite the fact Khabib was dominating Al on the ground, Al kept on defending the whole time and was making Khabib work hard which would have tired him out....anyway rant over but Rogan just annoyed me with his comments.
JLS
4/9/18 1:40:05AM

Posted by aussiemma

Rogan was so annoying with his commentating of the main event. He was shitting on Khabib's striking for the last 2-3 rounds. Khabib is not a world class striker yet he was picking Al apart and landing jab after jab, plus he had 3 opponent changes in less than a week. I didn't get Rogan's criticism, you already know Khabib is a grappler and not a striker so wtf do you expect. Also despite the fact Khabib was dominating Al on the ground, Al kept on defending the whole time and was making Khabib work hard which would have tired him out....anyway rant over but Rogan just annoyed me with his comments.

I agree! Let's critique Khabib's striking He only outlanded Iaquints 179-25 and had 8TD's. And to top it off that was the most one-sided decision that i can ever recall in a 5 Round Championship Fight. (50-43, 50-43, 50-44). I mean how much more dominating can you get?

I really like Rogan but that's one of his bad habits that annoys me. I tend to like Jimmy Smith a little better tbh. He's very well spoken, calls the fights without any bias and one thing I really, really enjoyed was when he commentated for Bellator he scored the Rounds and gave a reason on why he picked said fighter for each Round. And admittedly 9 times out of 10, if not more I agreed with Smith's scoring criteria. Oh and think about how hard his job was for Bellator Prelims. You'd have guys with records of 1-2 vs 3-5 for example. His job with the Ufc just got a lot easier.

Big fan of Dom Cruz and Paul Felder commentating too. Both those guys are very good considering their primary purpose with the Ufc is to fight.
aussiemma
4/9/18 4:52:59AM
Yeah Jimmy Smith is very good, he always has extensive knowledge about each match up and fighter. I usually don't mind Rogan but he sounded stupid talking about Khabib in the latter rounds. Yeah Dom Cruz is an awesome commentator he has that extra technical insight.
airkerma
4/9/18 11:00:47AM
I didn't have a problem with the commentary, but that could be because I agreed with it. Khabib did not look as dominant as expected. His standup was very sloppy and his head position is worrisome if he decides to stand and trade, which he did. Sure his jabs landed but that doesn't make him a threat in the striking department. I, presumably like Rogan, was expecting a smash fest with crippling grappling and ground and pound. It simply wasn't there the way it was against boza and mj, and it was against a guy who got subbed by Mitch Clark. I can't really say an opponent change is a good justification considering Al was about to fight a striker.

Decent fights overall, despite all the best ones getting cancelled. I feel terrible for Lauzon, he just doesn't have it anymore.