UFC 136: Chael Sonnen opens as -215 favorite over Brian Stann

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 136: Chael Sonnen opens as -215 favorite over Brian Stann
FastKnockout
7/7/11 4:51:21PM
Despite what will be a 14-month layoff due to out-of-the-cage issues, Chael Sonnen has been tapped a sizable favorite over Brian Stann.

As MMAjunkie.com reported on Wednesday, Sonnen and Stann have agreed to meet at UFC 136, which takes place Oct. 8 in Houston.

Today, noted oddsmaker Joey Oddessa told MMAjunkie.com Radio he's opened the line with Sonnen as a -215 favorite and Stann a +175 underdog.

LINK
Chael_Sonnen
7/7/11 5:03:13PM
Hells yah
Theoutlaw08
7/7/11 5:05:02PM
Can't wait to bet big on Stann and have a big payday
bjj1605
7/7/11 5:33:54PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Can't wait to bet big on Stann and have a big payday

Me too. Stann has a great guard now-a-days and good TDD. He's obviously better on the feet.
prophecy033
7/7/11 6:20:38PM
The over/under should be how many different ways chael can call stann a girl. The funny thing is I saw chael a month ago while I was driving my work route. The guy talks rough but he owns a lap dog. With how much trash he talks you would think he'd have a pitbull
icantthinkofanything
7/7/11 6:37:03PM
I hope Stann wins
FastKnockout
7/7/11 7:00:07PM

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I hope Stann wins

Most of us do.
prophecy033
7/7/11 7:03:36PM

Posted by FastKnockout

I hope Stann wins

Most of us do.

. Being from Oregon I want all the locals to do good but he talks so much dumb **** that he comes off as a clown
pmoney
7/7/11 7:06:27PM
This is a tough fight to call. Chael wins though. In this fight, and in life.

That reminds me, thanks to Emfleek for the heads up on this.....

Here we have what is potentially Chael Sonnen's funniest interview ever. Nearly 20 minutes of gold. After I post this, I am watching it again.

Chael Sonnen Backstage

prophecy033
7/7/11 7:22:40PM

Posted by pmoney

This is a tough fight to call. Chael wins though. In this fight, and in life.

That reminds me, thanks to Emfleek for the heads up on this.....

Here we have what is potentially Chael Sonnen's funniest interview ever. Nearly 20 minutes of gold. After I post this, I am watching it again.

Chael Sonnen Backstage

he reminds me of Julian from trailer park boys with that glass in his hand
kingsmasher
7/7/11 7:32:53PM

Posted by prophecy033

The over/under should be how many different ways chael can call stann a girl. The funny thing is I saw chael a month ago while I was driving my work route. The guy talks rough but he owns a lap dog. With how much trash he talks you would think he'd have a pitbull

Thats why i own a pitbull....Im taking Stann with all my money if I have some then...I think KO...
kingsmasher
7/7/11 7:35:34PM
UNlike the majority I am not so sure about the fight with Silva just kinda fishy for a guy to get caught like that in the end when hes all sweaty...And at the time Silva was pretty low on the pole when it came to interest and that fight happening just like that got people all interested....Im not sold on Chael...Yeah he beat NAte but so did Okami...
prophecy033
7/7/11 7:56:52PM

Posted by kingsmasher

UNlike the majority I am not so sure about the fight with Silva just kinda fishy for a guy to get caught like that in the end when hes all sweaty...And at the time Silva was pretty low on the pole when it came to interest and that fight happening just like that got people all interested....Im not sold on Chael...Yeah he beat NAte but so did Okami...

I'm not real sure about the silva fight either, although sonnen has lost 7 of his 8 submission loses by triangle or armbar and you can set up the armbar with a triangle. Maybe he should posture up more often
Chael_Sonnen
7/7/11 8:06:12PM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

I hope Stann wins

Most of us do.

. Being from Oregon I want all the locals to do good but he talks so much dumb **** that he comes off as a clown

Being from Oregon myself, I give you

Chael is baaack, deal with it
KungFuMaster
7/7/11 8:38:30PM
I like Stann but Sonnen needs to win this fight. Who else is going to put a hurt on Anderson Silva if Okami does not come through?
Pookie
7/7/11 8:43:44PM
I think the line is accurate.
prophecy033
7/7/11 8:44:52PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by FastKnockout

I hope Stann wins

Most of us do.

Being from Oregon myself, I give you

Chael is baaack, deal with it

never said I didn't want him to win, just to talk **** AFTER he wins. Looked good on his promise 4 1/2 rounds vs silva then lost and all the trash he was talking made him look like a clown, but if you are the end all be all of oregonians then who am I to talk
pmoney
7/7/11 9:01:02PM

Posted by prophecy033
.... Looked good on his promise 4 1/2 rounds vs silva then lost and all the trash he was talking made him look like a clown

Honestly, for me.... When Chael was going on his mud slinging campaign for the Silva fight, he annoyed the piss out of me. To me, he was saying the same things everyone had said.

"He's never fought anyone like me" blah blah blah. Of course, he took it to a whole new level. But, I was thinking "Yeah that's what everyone says before they get smoked in the first by AS".

When that fight actually happened though, and he whooped up on Anderson for those 4½ rounds, that was the exact moment he gained my respect. Because for those 4½ rounds, he actually was backing up the talk, more so than any of Anderson's previous opponents had.

Of course, we found out afterwards a lot of factors were coming in to play for that fight.... Sonnen's testosterone ratio, the potentially broken rib of Silva, etc. But regardless.... He backed it up longer than anyone has so far.
kizzane
7/8/11 2:07:12AM
I was already planning on going to UFC 136 but this is just the cherry on top. Unfortunately I like both of these guys but with Sonnen's layoff I'm apt to go with Stann.

I will pick Sonnen in my Fantasy picks though just because he said he's going to Wand's house with night vision goggles LOL
Lucas
7/8/11 5:59:09AM
I so want sonnen to win because i am desperate for him to fight Silva again and this time Silva will KO him in round 1 and then all the sonnen nut huggers can't keep bleating on about how he beat Silva for 23 minutes. The guy is 4 and 4 in the UFC hardly the record of a world beater.

The reason i say this is because even if Stann KO him in round 1 the sonnen lovers would still say yeah but he beat silva up for 23 Mins (SO WHAT HE LOST)
emfleek
7/8/11 8:44:42AM

Posted by Lucas

I so want sonnen to win because i am desperate for him to fight Silva again and this time Silva will KO him in round 1 and then all the sonnen nut huggers can't keep bleating on about how he beat Silva for 23 minutes. The guy is 4 and 4 in the UFC hardly the record of a world beater.

The reason i say this is because even if Stann KO him in round 1 the sonnen lovers would still say yeah but he beat silva up for 23 Mins (SO WHAT HE LOST)

Yeah, we read the exact same thing in the other thread you posted in.
icantthinkofanything
7/8/11 12:21:32PM
Chael lost. He is a great wrestler, but he is not dangerous. He is good at holding people down, I think although he couldnt get up, he could submit whenever he wanted.Silva waited for 5 rounds, and conserved his energy, while Chael wasted his , but next time it will end in the first round.
Bubbles
7/8/11 2:23:32PM
bummer, its almost not worth putting money on Sonnen now
quezocrema0032
7/8/11 3:50:19PM
Its really sad that peoples negative opinion of sonnen is not letting them give him the credit he deserves. Is he anoying? Yes. Is he a top middle weight despite his 4&4 ufc record? Without a doubt. Idc how much I hate someone if you handidly beat Okami and Nate then almost beat and dominate the best fighter in the world (if not 2nd gsp) then the guy deserves respect. He was 2.min away from becoming the world champ. Let's be objective people.
Bloodhound
7/8/11 4:12:50PM
Chael is gonna win this fight, its not like Stann's tdd and guard is that good.
Consigliere
7/8/11 4:22:39PM
Hell yeah!! Stann is gonna do with sonnen what he does with most his opponents, KO. And KO GOOD!
Wipe that smuck off his face.. Allthough, sonnen'll always have that idiotic smuck on his face
kizzane
7/9/11 12:09:44AM
What in THE HELL is "smuck?"
Pookie
7/9/11 12:41:10AM
And now Sonnen is down to -260

Stann at +200 is worth the bet.
Chael_Sonnen
8/17/11 11:30:26PM

Posted by Consigliere

Hell yeah!! Stann is gonna do with sonnen what he does with most his opponents, KO. And KO GOOD!
Wipe that smuck off his face.. Allthough, sonnen'll always have that idiotic smuck on his face

Smuck

This fight will be a carbon copy of Marquardt v Sonnen.
DosBox
8/18/11 5:49:20PM
Accurate line, I dont see Stann's TDD and guard work to be too threatening tbh.
Considering Stann's last fight where he had to exercise it was against Mike Massenzio (who ironically pulled off a triangle after losing much of the fight).

Sonnen's ability to takedown/gnp Dan Miller, and Marquardt and even Silva for a while should be enough to dispatch Stann IMO.