UFC 131's Mark Munoz: "I proved I am in that top echelon" at middleweight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 131's Mark Munoz: "I proved I am in that top echelon" at middleweight
pmoney
6/12/11 10:11:06AM
UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva goes for his 10th consecutive title defense when he meets Yushin Okami at UFC 134 in August.

After that? Well, your guess is as good as anyone else's.

But following an impressive victory over Demian Maia (14-3 MMA, 8-3 UFC) at Saturday's UFC 131 event, Mark Munoz (11-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC) believes he proved he should be in the title discussion.

Article
KungFuMaster
6/12/11 1:03:03PM
Munoz has the background and tools to do a number on Anderson Silva but he needs to utilize his wrestling to the fullest. He needs to put Anderson on his back and stay in the guard and deliver some ground and pound.

Yes, Anderson can submit Munoz from the bottom but that is what training is for and if Munoz can learn to effectively defend submissions, he will be a threat to Anderson.

Against Maia, Munoz showed he was afraid to go to the ground with Maia which only means Munoz is not confident with his submission defense. If Munoz is to withstand a legitimate chance against Silva, he needs to study up and be willing to take Silva down and be willing to stay in the guard.
Chael_Sonnen
6/12/11 2:20:18PM
The current competition in the MW Division, Mark stating those particular comments isn't really saying much.
bjj1605
6/12/11 6:14:33PM
Munoz essentially won that fight by not fighting. I think that Maia won most of the grappling and striking exchanges. Munoz just scored points by moving forward and controlling position. I wouldn't say it was a bad decision, maybe just a bad outcome. I'm not convinced that the better guy won.

Still, I've been saying for a very long time that Munoz would be stylistically very tough for Anderson. His ground and pound is probably the best in MMA. He showed he can avoid submissions against Maia, who has better jits than Anderson. If he could get Silva down, he could win via GNP.
Bubbles
6/12/11 7:17:43PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Munoz has the background and tools to do a number on Anderson Silva but he needs to utilize his wrestling to the fullest. He needs to put Anderson on his back and stay in the guard and deliver some ground and pound.

Yes, Anderson can submit Munoz from the bottom but that is what training is for and if Munoz can learn to effectively defend submissions, he will be a threat to Anderson.

Against Maia, Munoz showed he was afraid to go to the ground with Maia which only means Munoz is not confident with his submission defense. If Munoz is to withstand a legitimate chance against Silva, he needs to study up and be willing to take Silva down and be willing to stay in the guard.

you cant seriously be comparing Silva's guard to Maia's? Silva has no BJJ credentials outside his black belt and his guard is overrated. Maia's BJJ is world class. imo Munoz has more viscous gnp than Sonnen and look what Sonnen did to Anderson.

only problem, doesnt Munoz train at black house?
Kpro
6/12/11 7:29:50PM

Posted by Bubbles

you cant seriously be comparing Silva's guard to Maia's? Silva has no BJJ credentials outside his black belt and his guard is overrated. Maia's BJJ is world class. imo Munoz has more viscous gnp than Sonnen and look what Sonnen did to Anderson.

only problem, doesnt Munoz train at black house?

Yeah but Munoz trains at Blackhouse Los Angeles and Maia trained at Blackhouse San Diego for this fight and they still fought.

Anderson probably rotates between their Brazil location(s?), 3 US locations + affiliate locations as he sees fit, plus always seems to spend time at AMC Pankration as well. It's possible he may not even ever train at the Black House LA where Munoz trains.
FastKnockout
6/12/11 7:40:40PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Munoz wouldn't touch Silva, honestly. Maia was lighting his up for a while, just think of what Silva would do.

I'd like to see him against Vitor Belfort, Michael Bisping, Wanderlei Silva, Brian Stann, etc before I even think about him fighting Silva.
bjj1605
6/12/11 10:04:13PM
I'd just like to add that (by the numbers) according to Fightmetric this fight was a draw. I think it easily could have gone to Maia and its definitely not a win worth boasting about like Munoz is doing here.
Jekyll
6/13/11 3:36:34AM
That fight should of been a draw at best.. Munoz did not do anything to really win the fight... For the ight 2 rounds he was trying to not lose more then trying to win...

As much as draws suck some fights should be draws.
Pookie
6/13/11 6:49:36AM
Maia tagged him hard, Anderson would stop him in the first. Like Hammill did, but prettier.
Jekyll
6/13/11 6:52:42AM
Munoz is a gatekeeper, its sad to say but that is his level. he was gifted the win from Maia hes got no room to talk.
KungFuMaster
6/13/11 12:55:57PM
I am not comparing the level of JJ between Anderson and Maia. What I am saying is Munoz does have the tools to take Anderson to the mat and deliver ground and pound - but he needs to do this with confidence while knowing he can defend submissions within the guard.

And I am not saying Munoz is ready for a title shot anytime soon, but when it happens, I think he will have a legitimate chance to prevail over Silva if he strictly focuses on the wrestling aspect for this fight.

It is obvious Munoz will be heavily disadvantaged on the feet against Silva but that can be nullified by keeping a safe distance and shooting in for the take down when the opportunity presents itself.

Anderson Silva is not superhuman and Sonnen has proven that much of it.
prozacnation1978
6/13/11 4:03:08PM
Munoz vs stann for next title shot
I like that!!
D0wnUnd6e6r
6/13/11 4:21:28PM
I'm a huge fan of munoz' ... he'll need at least another fight before getting a title shot though imo. He had alot of trouble with Maia's striking in the first 4 mins of the 1st round and well let's be honnest that Silva's striking would be light years away from Maia's. Munoz is gonna need to stick to his bread and butter that is wrestling and then think about opening up on the feet.

I do see him as a possible future champ though, never know!