UFC 116 fighter bonuses: Six fighters each earn $75,000 awards

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 116 fighter bonuses: Six fighters each earn $75,000 awards
jae_1833
7/4/10 3:12:31AM
link
Gerald Harris, Brock Lesnar, Stephan Bonnar, Krzysztof Soszynski, Chris Leben and Yoshihiro Akiyama each earned $75,000 fight-night bonuses for their performances at Saturday's UFC 116 event.

Harris earned the "Knockout of the Night" award, Lesnar earned the "Submission of the Night" bonus, and Bonnar, Soszynski, Leben, Akiyama all earned "Fight of the Night" honors.
Jackelope
7/4/10 3:31:37AM
How the hell does Lesnar win submission of the night award with a half-assed arm triangle that was muscled on and displayed the overall technique of a novice?

I mean compare that to Chris Lytle slapping on one of the most fluid and quick crucifixes (which was realistically somewhat of an inverted triangle choke to be quite honest) and reaching for a far sided arm bar.

Sometimes these awards are awesome and other times I am just absolutely flabbergasted at how ignorant in regards to technique the people awarding them must be. Any jackass as strong as Lesnar with 6 months of training could muscle that arm triangle the way Lesnar did. It takes a serious BJJ expert to slap on the kind of submission Lytle did.
Bloodhound
7/4/10 3:41:07AM

Posted by Jackelope

How the hell does Lesnar win submission of the night award with a half-assed arm triangle that was muscled on and displayed the overall technique of a novice?

I mean compare that to Chris Lytle slapping on one of the most fluid and quick crucifixes (which was realistically somewhat of an inverted triangle choke to be quite honest) and reaching for a far sided arm bar.

Sometimes these awards are awesome and other times I am just absolutely flabbergasted at how ignorant in regards to technique the people awarding them must be. Any jackass as strong as Lesnar with 6 months of training could muscle that arm triangle the way Lesnar did. It takes a serious BJJ expert to slap on the kind of submission Lytle did.

I Agree 100% The Way Lytle transitioned into that submission was so slick and it is much harder to do than the side choke Lesnar used. Lytle definetly deserved submission of the night
lohmann
7/4/10 3:47:03AM

Posted by Jackelope

'Cos he's Brock Lesnar.

Zuffa can promote Brock Lesnar as a wrestler with serious BJJ credentials now. They probably will.
PABLOMAFIOSO
7/4/10 6:53:02AM
Lytle got robbed. Brock apparently earned $400,000 for that fight, why deprive Chris lytle who got paid a fraction of that?
warglory
7/4/10 9:37:13AM
I bet that the powers that be were thinking Lytle earned too many fight of the night honors and wanted one to go to their champion. Lame, but it would make sense to me.
postman
7/4/10 9:45:37AM

Posted by Jackelope

Its even compounded by the fact that Shane did nothing to get out of it. He layed on his back and allowed Brock to slide into postion.
kopower
7/4/10 9:54:01AM
I wonder if Lytle saying in his post fight interview that he should get sub of the night had any bearing on Dana's decision. I thought Lytle for sure had it locked up. That sub was sooo slick. Hopefully Dana threw some cash his way in the locker room.
BustedKnuckle
7/4/10 11:39:36AM
I also agree that no ay Brock should have got the SOTN. His technique was lacking at best. he just muscled it in. Lytle had such a sweet transition and everything to take out Brown. Cant believe he didnt get it.
noahgenda
7/4/10 1:01:41PM
yes lytles was slicker, but which was more exciting? for the average fan it was brock's. the bar exploded over that, most of the bar probably didnt even know what was going on in the lytle/brown fight. which had a bigger impact on the sport? obviously the one in the main event that decided a championship.

and i saw someone say lesnar is already getting a boatload of money, true. but how much did zuffa just make off brock? how much did they make off chris lytle? if you want to bring money in to it it is obvious brock is going to win that battle every time

sounds like lytle will still get a check, tho, which is deserved

basically what im saying is that "submission of the night" doesnt translate as most technically executed submission, rather it translates as most exciting/most memorable/most important - and when you look at it like that it isnt too hard to see why brock won it
jae_1833
7/4/10 1:32:40PM
See I completely disagree! I know that the casual fan doesn't ever even find out who wins these awards anyways so who cares. If you put another award on Lytle you can use it to advertise him as they did last night and hopefully hype him up more to the casual fan. Besides I am all about the heart of the sport, the business of it just a hard truth, a bad fact of life. Lytle had the coolest submission last night so that is all I consider when I think to myself who deserves the award.

Oh, and otherwise did anyone notice that for the first time they gave FOTN bonuses to two different fights! That's way cool, Bonnar Krzy and Leben Sexy both got the extra $75K.
Jackelope
7/4/10 1:40:10PM

Posted by noahgenda

yes lytles was slicker, but which was more exciting? for the average fan it was brock's. the bar exploded over that, most of the bar probably didnt even know what was going on in the lytle/brown fight. which had a bigger impact on the sport? obviously the one in the main event that decided a championship.

and i saw someone say lesnar is already getting a boatload of money, true. but how much did zuffa just make off brock? how much did they make off chris lytle? if you want to bring money in to it it is obvious brock is going to win that battle every time

sounds like lytle will still get a check, tho, which is deserved

basically what im saying is that "submission of the night" doesnt translate as most technically executed submission, rather it translates as most exciting/most memorable/most important - and when you look at it like that it isnt too hard to see why brock won it

Sound logic for an argument. I'd imagine you're right. I just don't like it is all. I think it's better in the long run for the sport if you praise technique and skill over butts in the seats. Just like FOTN- Too many times it has been handed out to sloppy slugfests over technical back and forth battles. I just think it's counter productive to what MMA is personally.
MaxOne
7/4/10 3:15:29PM
i think it's ok that brock got it.
it's like rewarding the money machine for trying to learn more which could expand the casual fans appreciation for submissions so that they end up being real fans and appreciating what lytle did. think about what brock did against herring....now, he learned a move and he saw an opening and he went for it. good for him. especially after being so close to defeat. I do hope lytle was rewarded cuz that was beautiful (obviously i thought he'd get sub of the night)