Who's going to fight B.J. Penn at UFC 137? Dana White hints at "crazy" option

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Who's going to fight B.J. Penn at UFC 137? Dana White hints at "crazy" option
Budgellism
9/7/11 9:05:17PM
Of all the phone calls he had to make following Nick Diaz's no-show of a press conference in support of UFC 137, Dana White wasn't thrilled about informing B.J. Penn (16-7-2 MMA, 12-6-2 UFC) that he had poached the fighter's original opponent, Carlos Condit (27-5 MMA, 4-1 UFC), to headline opposite welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre.

"B.J. doesn't know anything," White said today following a sudden announcement that Diaz (25-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) had been bounced from his fight with St-Pierre (22-2 MMA, 16-2 UFC). "I'm sure I'm going to have one seriously pissed off Hawaiian to deal with."

LINK
kopower
9/7/11 9:38:37PM
From the posts on the link, the majority think it will be Gil Melendez. I would love to see Penn fight Diaz though. Just thinking of the stare down gives me goosebumps. I believe they are buddies, so that might shoot the idea out the window.
Budgellism
9/7/11 10:00:54PM
List of what I'd like to see:

1. Lytle
2. Diaz
3. Cerrone
4. Melendez
5. Pettis
FastKnockout
9/7/11 10:14:24PM
Crazy, huh? I seriously hope Edgar or Maynard isn't injured again, and Dana is thinking about throwing Penn in for an interim title.
Twenty20Dollars
9/7/11 10:50:06PM
Diaz

Idk, I'm just trying to keep up with all the crazy news lately.
prophecy033
9/7/11 11:06:18PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Diaz

Idk, I'm just trying to keep up with all the crazy news lately.

You know what, this is probably what's gonna happen. He will tell Diaz, "look homie, you either fight B.J. for the #1 contender spot or you get your walkin papers" at which point Diaz confirms, then repeatedly no-shows at events promoting Penn v Diaz
Twenty20Dollars
9/7/11 11:34:09PM
Diaz is the only option that I would consider "crazy", unless Dana and I have a different meaning for crazy.
Manak
9/7/11 11:55:52PM
penn vs hong man choi... and hong man choi is cutting weight to make 170
prozacnation1978
9/8/11 1:57:49AM
my guess is a switcharoo

condit vs gsp
diaz vs penn now

or wild card melendez

wont be fitch
Pookie
9/8/11 5:17:07AM
Melendez and/or Interim title seems like the crazy option.

I can't think of a WW without a match coming up.
emfleek
9/8/11 9:03:08AM
BJ Penn to Strikeforce to fight Melendez for the Strikeforce LW title? Certainly they wouldn't bring *another* champ from Strikeforce to the UFC...

Would they? (yes, they would)
Twenty20Dollars
9/8/11 11:35:12AM
There's an article on mmamaina about this and a tweet with Melendez's manager, saying crazy 24hrs will announce more new later.

So Penn could be facing Melendez, or Thiago Alves, who has the same manager as Melendez and doesn't have an opponent.
MaxOne
9/8/11 12:00:06PM
if it is Melendez that isn't a good match up for BJ considering his performances against Edgar. ( Even though I thought BJ actually won the first fight with Edgar...he clearly lost the 2nd one. )
Theoutlaw08
9/8/11 12:52:12PM
DIAZ.
1daveufc
9/8/11 4:09:17PM
B.J just tweeted that dana has just made him a deal he can not refuse and says he still fighting on 29th WAR PENN
bigrand826
9/8/11 4:25:41PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Diaz is the only option that I would consider "crazy", unless Dana and I have a different meaning for crazy.

I was thinking the opposite. This is the option that makes the most sense as both were training for fights on that card. Diaz-Penn doesn't strike me as crazy. To me crazy would be a fight with Melendez since he's the SF champ and scheduled to face Masvidal.
Manak
9/8/11 4:31:41PM

Posted by 1daveufc

B.J just tweeted that dana has just made him a deal he can not refuse and says he still fighting on 29th WAR PENN

bjpenndotcom BJ PENN
Dana just offered me a deal I can't refuse.pretty sure I'm still fighting on Oct. 29th.

also tweeted

bjpenndotcom BJ PENN
@
@jonfitchdotnet If your not ready to fight shut your $@&%ING mouth! Dana said your not cleared till December.Quit wasting everybody's time.

so its not fitch wonder who it is
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
9/8/11 4:34:02PM
RORY MACDONALD!!!
but Gilbert Melendez would be awesome
bigrand826
9/8/11 4:36:16PM

Posted by Jesse_Canadian_MMA

RORY MACDONALD!!!
but Gilbert Melendez would be awesome

Wasn't Rory just matched with Ebersole for December?
bigrand826
9/8/11 4:39:11PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by 1daveufc

bjpenndotcom BJ PENN
Dana just offered me a deal I can't refuse.pretty sure I'm still fighting on Oct. 29th.

also tweeted

bjpenndotcom BJ PENN
@
@jonfitchdotnet If your not ready to fight shut your $@&%ING mouth! Dana said your not cleared till December.Quit wasting everybody's time.

This is funny. I'm not sure what Fitch said, but he's been coming off kind of whiny. I understand his frustration, though.
Poor_Franklin
9/8/11 4:47:28PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by 1daveufc

bjpenndotcom BJ PENN

also tweeted

bjpenndotcom BJ PENN
@

HA!
TheCatFather
9/8/11 5:13:17PM
I think it should be Diaz. He says he is ready to fight and maybe is punishment would be to fight his way back into the title fight IDK . Right now I can only see Diaz as the replacement unless he wants to pull Shields from the fight night and have him face Penn Dana is mad scientist and he will do what he needs to do to pull off the PPV.
Dberntson
9/8/11 5:48:07PM
Did Nate Marquardt get a suspension for the testostorone drugs? If not, the UFC could resign Nate the Great and let BJ and Nate decide their differences in the ring. Not sure if Nate is cleared to fight in the US yet or not due to his testostorone issues, but if he is, I'd like to see those two go at it.
prophecy033
9/8/11 7:47:20PM

Posted by Dberntson

Did Nate Marquardt get a suspension for the testostorone drugs? If not, the UFC could resign Nate the Great and let BJ and Nate decide their differences in the ring. Not sure if Nate is cleared to fight in the US yet or not due to his testostorone issues, but if he is, I'd like to see those two go at it.

Dana already said that Marquardt will never fight in the ufc again, even if he wins 10 in a row or if he's p4p king, never again