If...........

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If...........
POLL: Drop down to 185
Do it 21% (9)
No he should not 53% (23)
He probaly cannot make wieght 26% (11)
StorminYourman
5/24/09 1:31:12PM
Rashad can drop to MW should he do it?
I just rewatched that fight a bunch of times and Machida made him look like an ameteur. I do not see him getting the LHW UFC title back ever, however at 185 there is a potential of him being a true force.
Thoughts,Opinions.
mkiv9secsupra
5/24/09 1:35:56PM
Machida is going to make a lot of people look like amateurs so i wouldnt take the loss to bad. I dont want Rashad to even try MW until forrest wins in a rematch and Rampage KOs him....But either way he will never be a champ again in any weightclass.....
Wallass
5/24/09 2:41:08PM
Rashad can definitely hang with the lightheavys but I think with his size and frame, middleweight would be better for him. Im sure that his next fight will be at lightheavyweight again but im sure depending on the results of that one will see him stay or drop. I think he would stand a better chance of winning a titl again in Middleweight though.
TNPanther78
5/24/09 2:54:56PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him do it, but I wanna see some 'black on black' crime first!
Jackelope
5/24/09 2:55:44PM
I normally don't defend Rashad because I don't like his in-the-ring antics, but there is no question he can hang with the LHW upper echelon. I feel that he's gotten the luck of the draw a couple of times, but to say that he isn't top tier LHW is a bit of an insult IMO. He won the title fair and square. Machida just has that style that can make anyone look bad
telnights
5/24/09 3:06:44PM
I cant stand Rashad but I will say he defiantly belongs at LHW. He is a top ten LHW and I see no reason for him to drop down. Just like Jackelope said Machida has a way of making great fighters like bad. It isn't just Rashad he has done this to. He has done this to everyone he has fought so far.
Aether
5/24/09 3:07:38PM
Yeah as much as I dislike Rashad's personality, I agree. He definitely can continue to compete in the LHW division, but I also don't think MW would be a bad move for him at all as I think he could compete at an even higher level at MW. Problem is the top of the food chain looks pretty much the same in both divisions, and his shot at getting a belt are pretty low IMO.

I think at LHW he sits somewhere around #5 or #6 or so and at MW if he could make the cut he could probably be #3 or #2. I see a lot of the LHWs outpointing him if he can't put them away like he did with Forrest and Chuck. I'd have to take Forrest in a 3 round rematch, although I would take Rashad in a 5 rounder against Forrest no question.

If his goal is to fight the best I think he should stay at LHW, if his goal is to be a champion I think MW is the better choice, although I see him holding anymore belts as a slim possibility given who's holding them.
Franklinfan47
5/24/09 3:35:58PM
Come on guys, its one loss to one of the best fighters in the world. A few more losses and lets talk about it.
PABLOMAFIOSO
5/24/09 3:59:57PM
This is his first loss and it came to the best around at LHW. Rashad definately belongs in the light heavy division.
Wolfenstein
5/24/09 4:10:35PM
I think his frame is better suited for 185, but he can do just as well at 205. I think he would be a wrecking machine at 185, but he's been so effective at 205 that I think dropping weight would be a bit pretentious.

If he dropped to 205, I fear he might lose some of his speed--which is probably one of the facets that makes him so good. Somewhere down the line, I think it's something to consider but I still think there are a ton of fights for him at 205.
sparky
5/24/09 4:41:00PM
Rashad is still one of the best light heavies in the world I dont see the need to drop weight.
mrsmiley
5/24/09 5:36:34PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

This is his first loss and it came to the best around at LHW. Rashad definately belongs in the light heavy division.

im with you 2
SociopathX
5/24/09 8:10:59PM
Pick your poison I Guess....He's got Machida as LHW champ now and if he drops down to MW he's gonna have to get by Anderson Silva.
loonytnt
5/24/09 8:12:58PM
one lose is nothing.... just because he lost does not mean he needs to move to 185
1daveufc
5/25/09 5:33:12AM
185 you got to be joking just because he gets beat once he got to drop weight.I dont like what he does in the ring but he can still hang with the best of the L/H.He beat Forrest so shud Forrest drop to 185 come on its only one loss wait till he has lost 2 or 3 in a row a think people are jumping in at the deepend.Dont forget who he lost to and dont take the shine off Machida's win he going to be 1 of the best L/H of all time.
Pookie
5/25/09 5:42:55AM
If he dropped down, and cut some muscle bulk i think his speed would become overwhelming for alot of the 185 fighters, and i think he would do quite well because of it.
But unfortunately the likes of Dan Henderson and Anderson Silva lurk at the top of the division, and i feel both would stylistically rough him up pretty bad. So for now i think he should continue to build his legacy in the UFC, see where he really stands in his division. Losses are normally good for building up motivation to improve, i hope this happens with rashad.

tmas
5/25/09 9:30:28AM
both Rashad and Machida belong in MW div based on size, even machida has said that, but machida wont because his buddy A Silva, and Rashad was orginally a HW he just went down 1 weight class because thats the logical decision to make, I have said this many times.

Rashad was 220-225 on TUF. (Thats what most LHW's walk around at, some MW walk around clost to that (like A Silva). Instead of cutting weight Rashad decided to lose and maintain so he doesnt have to make big cuts if any at all, he walks around now anywhere from 200-210, i seen him as low as 203 (No weight cut for that fight)

So with that being said, both guys although slightly undersized use their abilities to be top tier LHW, its their speed/accuracy that wins them fights at LHW, at MW they will be closer in speed to the rest of them but be big MW.....
I would love to see both fight at MW in the future if for nothing else to test it out.
prozacnation1978
5/25/09 9:40:32AM
he was ranked first in light heavy, beat the best, won alot of fights at 205 so why drop ?? if he losses say next two fights then i would say yes
if anyone right now needs to drop it needs to be chuck lidell
StorminYourman
5/26/09 12:59:25AM

Posted by 1daveufc

185 you got to be joking just because he gets beat once he got to drop weight.I dont like what he does in the ring but he can still hang with the best of the L/H.He beat Forrest so shud Forrest drop to 185 come on its only one loss wait till he has lost 2 or 3 in a row a think people are jumping in at the deepend.Dont forget who he lost to and dont take the shine off Machida's win he going to be 1 of the best L/H of all time.

I do not think Forrest could ever make 185.Itis not that he did get beat but was completely dominated.The Forrest fight I had Forrest winning till pretty much the end of the fight.The same reason Rich Franklin moved up wieght is that he can never be champion with A Siva around.That guy gave him a thorough wooping twice. He is lucky (or unlucky) to have even made it into the second round.Now I am no fan of rashad but I do respect his talents.To me if the guy ever wants to be a UFC champion again he will have to drop some more weight or fall into the ranks of continual journeyman like a Karo Parisian or Heath Herring.

Also- Bisbing dropped to MW after 1 loss .It was to Evans and it was a split decision which I thought Bisbing won though it was very close and could have gone wither way.Now he is almost in title contention.Some more food for thought.